none
Please help me about VC++.NET on Linux

Question

• I need help on using VC++.NET for developing applications for Linux. The application i want to work with is a security (biometric) application which involve an authentication system using a biometric mouse. The mouse is attached at USB port.If any one can help me on this.....
    Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:32 PM

Answers

• C++ code that relies on only the standard C/C++ headers (stdio.h, stdlib.h, the Standard C++ libraries), you're okay.  As a rule, most of the stuff under the VC\include directory is standard.  The stuff under SDK\include, such as windows.h are foreign to Linux.

Kernel-specific API's., such as creating processes and threads will take a little bit of porting. Searching the net should give you pointers.

OS-specific functionality such as windowing are not portable unless you use a Windows emulation layer such as WINE.  I can't really tell you much here other than the fact that I've heard that this isn't a very robust option.

Finally, hardware dependent APIs that require drivers are not portable, as you are probably well-aware.

Brian

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:52 PM

All replies

• There is no Visual C++ for Linux (Microsoft isn't in the business of selling dev tools for competing OS's :)). 

You're asking two questions here really: what C++ development tool should you use to develop on Linux, and how to do I/O with a USB biometric mouse on Linux.

There are various options for the first question.  The Gnu C++ compiler is the usual choice.  If you want an IDE, check out Eclipse.  Supporting these are outside of the scope of this forum.

The second question is also not in the scope of this forum.  You should rely on product documentation for this specialized hardware, and hope that searching the internet bears answers.

Brian

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for your help.. but i think i did not convey the question well ... Actually I wanted to say that if I develop an application in VS.NET using VC++.NET then how much is the possibility of taking that to Linux.. Is that going to work for Linux? If yes then to how much extent?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:53 PM
  • C++ code that relies on only the standard C/C++ headers (stdio.h, stdlib.h, the Standard C++ libraries), you're okay.  As a rule, most of the stuff under the VC\include directory is standard.  The stuff under SDK\include, such as windows.h are foreign to Linux.

Kernel-specific API's., such as creating processes and threads will take a little bit of porting. Searching the net should give you pointers.

OS-specific functionality such as windowing are not portable unless you use a Windows emulation layer such as WINE.  I can't really tell you much here other than the fact that I've heard that this isn't a very robust option.

Finally, hardware dependent APIs that require drivers are not portable, as you are probably well-aware.

Brian

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Thanks again... Now keeping in mind that I am going to work on an application that is the software for a biometric mouse which is going to be used as an authentication system on Linux.. what development tool would you suggest? Obviously there is some image processing going to be involved in this case as well..
    Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:59 PM
  • The choice of dev tool is orthagonal to the kind of things you want your application to do. C++ is portable across C++ compilers, object files and libraries should have standard binary formats so when someone gives you a library that supports some hardware feature on Linux, you should be able to use it in any C++ development tool.

So as I said earlier, go with Gnu C++ for command line compilation, and perhaps Eclipse for an IDE.  The latter is only from word of mouth; I have never used Eclipse.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:02 PM
  • You are a good person Brian... If you get any more info about the topic then just send it to my mailbox   at  malikamirshehzad@hotmail.com
    Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:10 PM