none
Format TextBox only Numerical Data and 2 decimal places, enable backspace

Question

• Hi,

I have managed to format a text box to be formatted to two decimal places, and to only accept numbers.

Only problem is i need to allow the backspace so that if someone types something wrong, they can backspace and type the correct number

Private Sub txtCAmount_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtCAmount.KeyPress

'Allow only numberical input plus decimal.
        Dim allowedChars As String = "0123456789."
        If allowedChars.IndexOf(e.KeyChar) = -1 Then
          ' Invalid Character
          e.Handled = True
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_Leave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles txtCAmount.Leave

'Format to 2 decimal places.
        txtCAmount.Text = Format(Double.Parse(txtCAmount.Text), "###,###,##0.00")

End Sub

Can someone tell me how I could modify above to allow the backspace?

Thanks.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:48 PM

Answers

• Will this work?

Dim allowedChars As String = "0123456789." & vbBack
       ' Invalid Character
       e.Handled = True
    End If

v/r LikeToCode....Mark the best replies as answers.
    • Marked as answer by superlative Monday, April 26, 2010 10:26 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:15 PM

All replies

• Will this work?

Dim allowedChars As String = "0123456789." & vbBack
       ' Invalid Character
       e.Handled = True
    End If

v/r LikeToCode....Mark the best replies as answers.
    • Marked as answer by superlative Monday, April 26, 2010 10:26 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Perfect.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:26 PM
  • LikeToCode's method looks like it'll work for you but just an opinion here (and nothing more:)...

I don't even try to do any of that. If the idiot is dumb enough to type "six" instead of "6", then tell him/her it won't work, but I don't prevent them from doing it.

Instead, consider using Double.TryParse which will return a boolean. In other words, if it successfuly converted it to a double, proceed, but if not, clear the text box, put the focus back in it, then pop up a message indicating that their input wasn't valid.

Food for thought

• Proposed as answer by _asgar Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:46 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Some of the best number formatting that I know are in this link. Check out in particular, the post by dbasnet:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vblanguage/thread/4f84cbd1-4bc1-43af-8fe6-7080c85e02e2

Only performance counts!
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyPress

If Not Char.IsDigit(e.KeyChar) AndAlso Not Char.IsControl(e.KeyChar) AndAlso Not e.KeyChar = "."c Then
          e.Handled = True
        End If

End Sub

Asgar
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyPress

If Not Char.IsDigit(e.KeyChar) AndAlso Not Char.IsControl(e.KeyChar) AndAlso Not e.KeyChar = "."c Then

e.Handled = True

End If

End Sub

Asgar

Asgar,

Shouldn't there also be an "Else" with "e.Handled=False", or is that not needed?

Never mind - I see what you're doing now. You're taking care of everything anyone could type on the keyboard so there really IS no "else".
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:17 PM
  • i THINK YOU HAVE GOT IT BUT YOUR SUGGESTION IS THE BEST.

Not allowing a user to type in the textBox is an irritation to  the user.

Asgar
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:46 AM