none
Net Framework 4.0

Question

• Hi, I hope this is in the right spot. 

One way or another Net Framework 4.0 got uninstalled on my computer, and it refuses to install it again.

The error cited says that there is not enough disc space, and that I should try again once I have freed up some space. 

However, on the only hdd I have on this computer, there is  295 gb of free space. All other programs install fine. I've ran chkdsk and it came up with nothing. Is there a solution, or do I have to re-install windows? 

Thanks. 

EDIT: Don't know if you need any more info, I have Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, service pack 1. 
    • Edited by Eric Kurtz Monday, October 14, 2013 1:40 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 1:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Was 4.0 uninstalled, or does it appear to be corrupted?

To find out, please use this utility:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Run the tool with .NET 4.0 selected, then post the first 15 lines AND the LAST 15 lines of the tool log here.

If you find 4.0 is installed in the first 15 lines of the log, you can try repairing it from your list of installed programs in Programs and Features.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:22 PM
  • It was accidentally uninstalled. I cannot download the utility from microsoft for some reason (see below) and the other links you on the page only have an older version that only verifies 3.5

It now appears I cannot download anything from the Microsoft website; I get the same error message. 

Other programs from other sites 

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Can you share the error message?

If I can see it, I'll try to find a good place for you to get help with your download issue.

Monday, October 14, 2013 8:06 PM
  • I would post an image, but my account isn't verified, and the last thread to verify accounts is locked. 

EDIT: I've decided to type out the error for you. 

Extracting Files

There is not enough space on your your drive for new files to be uncompressed and installed  Please run this application again after you have freed some space on your drive. 

• Edited by Eric Kurtz Monday, October 14, 2013 8:36 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Given the message you quoted, my only suggestion is that you try defragmenting (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Defragment and Optimize Drives) you hard drive on the off chance it is badly fragmented. Then, retry the install.

Are you still unable to download the utility I linked for you previously? What error message do you see when you try to download that?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:04 PM
  • The same exact one. I am defragmenting the disk as we speak. I will let oyu know how it goes. 

Thanks for all your help. 

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:19 PM
  • No dice. Same error message. 
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:53 PM
  • From what you have described, you are seeing the same error message, "There is not enough space on your drive for new files to be uncompressed and installed..." on two different, unrelated archives (the setup verifier and the .NET 4.0 installer).

As you have over 200 GB free space on your hard drive OS partition, and have defragmented the partition, this appears to be an OS issue.

If I have interpreted your situation correctly, I suggest you ask about the error in the OS forums, here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system?tab=QnA&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&tm=1381933106530

Leave this thread open as well, so other readers can add suggestions.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:20 PM