none
Having a table culumn fill a multiline textbox

Question

• I have a table column in an Access db that  is a memo field.
    This allows me to add notes to a particular process that the record defines.
    In VB I would make this as a separate multiline textbox so that instead of the data
    appearing in the gridcell where you can on see a small part, it would appear in the
    textbox, so that it could be read more easily. Is this idea possible with Lightswitch?

Thanks

Andy

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you can have a grid of rows on the left and a big Text Box on the right that shows the Notes from the currently selected row of the grid. You can size the grid and the text box as you want and allow the user to resize them using a splitter bar. (The grid and the text box would be in separate Columns and you set their relative column widths - EG 2 to 1 - and say both columns are resizable if you want the splitter between them.)

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Adding to Simon's suggestions (I think he implies my information) Textbox can be sized with Number of Characters and Number of Lines at the bottom of the property editor you can set this. Of course this would mean higher rows but it's an option.

1+1 = 3 for large values of 1

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:55 AM
  • That seems to be just what I want Simon, do you know of any training videos or tutorials  for doing this type of thing?
    (Just working my way through Beths vids now)
    I'm an absolute beginer at Lightswitch.
    Seems lightswitch could save me weeks, months or maybe even years.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Have a look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ff852029.aspx

and here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2011/06/23/tips-and-tricks-for-using-the-screen-designer.aspx

especially the part about using Column Layout.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:26 AM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:13 AM