none
Client and service binding mismatch?

Question

• I have a WCF web service that when I call I get an exception:

Content Type text/xml; charset=utf-8 was sent to a service expecting application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8.  The client and service bindings may be mismatched.

It seems that only difference is text/xml needs to be changed to 'application/soap+xml'. Any ideas on how to fix this? The service is self-hosted (console host). The service reference was generated from this service without a problem.

Thank you.

Kevin

Friday, February 16, 2007 3:01 PM

Answers

• Yesm this is usually a mismatch in the client/server bindings, where the message version in the service uses SOAP 1.2 (which expects application/soap+xml) and the version in the client uses SOAP 1.1 (which sends text/xml). WSHttpBinding uses SOAP 1.2, BasicHttpBinding uses SOAP 1.1. Can you verify that the bindings used by the client/server are the same?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 7:22 PM

All replies

• The complete set of exceptions and stack would be helpful.  This is expected if the service is IIS hosted and there's an activation problem.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Yesm this is usually a mismatch in the client/server bindings, where the message version in the service uses SOAP 1.2 (which expects application/soap+xml) and the version in the client uses SOAP 1.1 (which sends text/xml). WSHttpBinding uses SOAP 1.2, BasicHttpBinding uses SOAP 1.1. Can you verify that the bindings used by the client/server are the same?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Here is the stack trace. The service reference (The proxy was generated from a self-hosted console app. Would that be a problem if I used the same proxy code but just pointed it to the IIS hosted version of the service?

System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: Content Type application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8 was not supported by service http://developer03/MyCompany/Services/MyServices.svc. The client and service bindings may be mismatched. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (415) Cannot process the message because the content type 'application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8' was not the expected type 'text/xml; charset=utf-8'..

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Security.IssuanceTokenProviderBase`1.DoNegotiation(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SspiNegotiationTokenProvider.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.WrapperSecurityCommunicationObject.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.CommunicationObjectSecurityTokenProvider.Open(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityUtils.OpenCommunicationObject(ICommunicationObject obj, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityUtils.OpenTokenProviderIfRequired(SecurityTokenProvider tokenProvider, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SymmetricSecurityProtocol.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.WrapperSecurityCommunicationObject.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityProtocol.Open(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.ClientSecurityChannel`1.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenProvider.DoOperation(SecuritySessionOperation operation, EndpointAddress target, Uri via, SecurityToken currentToken, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenProvider.GetTokenCore(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.IdentityModel.Selectors.SecurityTokenProvider.GetToken(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionClientSettings`1.ClientSecuritySessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

1 passed, 0 failed, 0 skipped, took 173.25 seconds.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Kevin

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:09 PM
  • We had a similar issue where we could generate the proxies from one server, and not from the other. We would get the same error message that you were getting. The cause of this one was that the server that worked had the application pool running as Network Service, and the one that didn't work was running as Local Service. As soon as we switched it to Network Service, it started working.

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting a similar error

The remote server returned an error: (415) Cannot process the message because the content type 'multipart/related; type="application/xop+xml";start="<http://tempuri.org/0>";boundary="uuid:77451d20-7af6-414c-bd3d-54ab50d958d7+id=4";start-info="text/xml"' was not the expected type 'text/xml; charset=utf-8'..

and app pool is running under Network Service Identity. I am not sure what the problem with my setting is.

This is the client binding model

<system.serviceModel>
        <bindings>
          <basicHttpBinding>
            <binding name="BasicHttpBinding_IQuasarDataLayer" messageEncoding="Mtom" transferMode="Streamed" maxBufferSize="10485760" maxReceivedMessageSize="67108864">
              <readerQuotas maxDepth="64" maxStringContentLength="214748364" maxArrayLength="214748364"
                  maxBytesPerRead="4096" maxNameTableCharCount="16384" />
              <security mode="None">
                <transport clientCredentialType="None" proxyCredentialType="None"
                  realm="" />
                <message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default" />
              </security>
            </binding>
          </basicHttpBinding>
        </bindings>   
        <client>
          <endpoint address="http://XXX/QuasarWebHelpRequestRemoting/DataLayerService.svc"
            binding="basicHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="BasicHttpBinding_IQuasarDataLayer"
            contract="QuasarDataLayer.IQuasarDataLayer" name="BasicHttpBinding_IQuasarDataLayer" />
        </client>
      </system.serviceModel> 

and this is the WCF Service config

<system.serviceModel>
      <bindings>
        <basicHttpBinding>
          <binding name="BasicHttpBinding_IQuasarDataLayer" messageEncoding="Mtom" transferMode="Streamed" maxBufferSize="10485760" maxReceivedMessageSize="67108864">
            <readerQuotas maxDepth="64" maxStringContentLength="214748364" maxArrayLength="214748364"
                maxBytesPerRead="4096" maxNameTableCharCount="16384" />
            <security mode="None">
              <transport clientCredentialType="None" />
            </security>
          </binding>
        </basicHttpBinding>
      </bindings>
        <services>
          <service name="QuasarDataLayer.DataLayerService" behaviorConfiguration="QuasarDataLayer.Service1Behavior">       
            <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="QuasarDataLayer.IQuasarDataLayer"/>
            <endpoint address="mex" binding="mexHttpBinding" contract="IMetadataExchange"/>
          </service>
        </services>
      <!--serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/-->
      <behaviors>
          <serviceBehaviors>
            <behavior name="QuasarDataLayer.Service1Behavior">         
              <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true"/>         
              <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true"/>
            </behavior>
          </serviceBehaviors>
        </behaviors>
      </system.serviceModel>

Please let me know where am I making mistakes. I appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,

Sai
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I got same error

The remote server returned an error: (415) Cannot process the message because the content type 'application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8' was not the expected type 'text/xml; charset=utf-8'..

Please help me , what should i do
    Friday, February 05, 2010 2:18 PM
  • THIS IS AN UPDATE, After comparing several similar projects out there I found out that my web.config was missing something within the service tag

please see the xml below and look at both attributes in bold.

The bindingConfiguration attribute was missing and in this case it must have the same value as the name attribute of your binding.

you would think visual studio would take care of this somehow but it DOES NOT so save yourself some grief.

<binding name="BasicHttpBinding_IstreamTransferService" closeTimeout="00:01:00"
                openTimeout="00:10:00" receiveTimeout="01:00:00" sendTimeout="01:00:00"
                allowCookies="false" bypassProxyOnLocal="false" hostNameComparisonMode="StrongWildcard"
                maxBufferSize="655360" maxBufferPoolSize="524288" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483648"
                messageEncoding="Mtom" transferMode="Streamed"
                useDefaultWebProxy="true">

<service name="StreamTransferWCF.streamTransferService" behaviorConfiguration="StreamTransferWCF.streamTransferServiceBehavior">
                    <!-- Service Endpoints -->
                    <endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="StreamTransferWCF.IstreamTransferService" bindingConfiguration="BasicHttpBinding_IstreamTransferService" >
                        <identity>
                            <dns value="localhost"/>
                        </identity>
                    </endpoint>
                    <endpoint address="mex" binding="mexHttpBinding" contract="IMetadataExchange"/>
                </service>

Now, since I'm saving a file I also made my application pool to run under Network Service and gave Network Service the proper permissions to write to the folder where I'm dropping the file. So, thank you tysonbrown for suggesting this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to get this streamed file upload using an IIS hosted WCF service for 2 weeks not and no luck.

This is what I get:

Content Type multipart/related; type="application/xop+xml";start="<http://tempuri.org/0>";boundary="uuid:8b4e5ea7-906d-47d4-b2c9-f14bc5df6bcf+id=1";start-info="text/xml" was not supported by service http://localhost/streamWCF/streamTransferService.svc.  The client and service bindings may be mismatched.

bindings on the servers and on the client are actually the same . I'm using basicHttpBinding, messageEncoding="Mtom" transferMode="Streamed"

I've increased timeouts, buffer sizes ,maxReceivedMessageSize, changed settings  and switched applications pools, you name it.

The inner exception looks like this:

The remote server returned an error: (415) Cannot process the message because the content type 'multipart/related; type="application/xop+xml";start="<http://tempuri.org/0>";boundary="uuid:8b4e5ea7-906d-47d4-b2c9-f14bc5df6bcf+id=1";start-info="text/xml"' was not the expected type 'text/xml; charset=utf-8'..

Any help would be highly appreciated

• Proposed as answer by MadnBad Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:15 PM
    • Edited by MadnBad Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:29 PM my issue is solved
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:38 PM
  • I got the same problem that MadnBad

I solve this by using wsHttpBinding no basicHttpBinding.

i found this link about the support of the bindings, i hope be useful for you!

http://www.pluralsight-training.net/community/blogs/aaron/archive/2007/03/22/46560.aspx

• Edited by Edwin J Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:44 PM better answer
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Edwin, how could you have had the same problem as MadnBad and solved it by switching to wsHttpBinding?

MadnBad is using basicHttpBinding because he wants to support streaming, which according to my understanding is not supported by wsHttpBinding?

MadnBad, did you find the solution in the end? I have EXACTLY the same issue as you. And it works when hosted in a console host, but not in IIS 7.

Thanks

Hendrik

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:55 AM
  • Throw my name on the list too. I've wasted 4 days on this.

My situation: first real WCF app. I've created a web service lib and consumed it with a winforms app, all is well. However once I make a cert, assign it to a port, switch the config to https and try to add a service reference to it from a client, I get the "client and service bindings may be mismatched".

It can't be the binding on the client, because there isn't any yet (I'm adding the reference).

Something else I can't figure out is that when I "discover" my service, the address is http not https. I've missed something fundamental here. Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:31 AM
  • My issue was that my svc file was pointing to theincorrect service - a service with a different binding too. So it was actually a binding mismatch, but it more importantly it was also a service contract mismatch.

I assume that the binding compatibility is checked before the contract match checking is done. It was just a stupid mistake on my side!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:29 PM
  • What exactly do you mean when you say "verify that the bindings used by the client/server are the same"?
    because they are the same (I have looked a few times word by word), and I still get the same error.

and I am using wsHttpBinding.

This error should not matter whether you use basicHttpBinding or wsHttpBinding because I never had this error when I was testing using wsHttpBinding before (I was suffering from other errors).

If you look at the <wsHttpBinding> in MSDN, its <binding> element has an attribute called "messageEncoding",

its default value is Text, and another possible value is Mtom.

Some folks up there say wsHttpBinding uses SOAP 1.2, so it expects application/soap+xml, not text/xml.

Then, do I use "Mtom" as the value for messageEncoding?  I don't think so.

Do I even use these values to fix the error?

I don't understand what is going on in this thread...  What is the fix?  Really.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Yup wasting too much time on this too. So close. I can deploy but my proxy call bombs with binding mismatch expecting application/xml as well. I've followed the example at msdn.../library/ff521581.aspx to create a custom wcf in sharepoint.

Tried WSHttpBinding and the various security modes but since I don't have https it fails with unauthorized. It should work with the basic binding right?

I can browse via IE to the /MEX URL only and this is where the problem may be. I can only add the service reference using the http://...../Revert.svc/MEX not the ending revert.svc/ which some examples use.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated...

RL

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:10 PM
  • I have been trying to push a byte[] array thru my WCF service, but I too was getting a binding mismatch and I'm like how can that be when my client reference class is generated from my server wsdl. Anyway, how I fixed it was my server configuration did not have a binding like my client. So I took my client's binding and add it to my server config and Walla - I'm now push my byte[] thru my wcf service and "no binding mismatch" problems to boot. Today is a good day.

Hammer

• Proposed as answer by Hammer Again Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Content Type multipart/related; type="application/xop+xml";start="<http://tempuri.org/0>";boundary="uuid:8b4e5ea7-906d-47d4-b2c9-f14bc5df6bcf+id=1";start-info="text/xml" was not supported by service http://localhost/streamWCF/streamTransferService.svc.  The client and service bindings may be mismatched.

Time ticking (over 6 hours) and still no answer.

Any help?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I would suggest you look at your client and server binding to make sure they are the same.
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:13 PM
  • In my case it turned out to be that I had an IEnumerable nested in an object which was the result of a LINQ query.  There was probably some problem with serializing it which caused this nonsensical error, as when I added ".ToArray()" to make the enumerable a simple array the error disappeared.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I had this error, and it turned out that it couldn't serialize my classes returned in a List because they did not have empty constructors.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:17 PM
  • I had this problem for 4 days and resolved it by removing the:

messageEncoding="Mtom"

from the web.config file on my server.

Regards,

Jason

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Thank you JPuckett! 

This was my problem. I was using an enum and had a WebMethod that returned a list of these enums just fine. But when I used the enum type as a member of another DataContract, the whole thing fell apart with this strange error.  I added an empty constructor for the offending DataContract type and it all worked again. I dread to think how long it would have taken me to work this out myself!

Monday, July 18, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Just in case this helps anyone, I had this same issue and it turned out the binding type was somehow mismatched. In my ServiceReferences.ClientConfig I had

<endpoint address="http://localhost:49716/WorkflowDesignerService.svc"

binding="<strong>basicHttpBinding</strong>" bindingConfiguration="BasicHttpBinding_IWorkflowDesignerService"

contract="WorkflowDesignerServiceReference.IWorkflowDesignerService"

name="BasicHttpBinding_IWorkflowDesignerService" />

but in the web.config of my Silverlight it had defaulted the binding to wsHttpBinding

<service behaviorConfiguration="WorkflowDesigner.Server.Services.WorkflowDesignerServiceBehavior"
            name="WorkflowDesigner.Server.Services.WorkflowDesignerService">
            <endpoint address="" binding="<strong>wsHttpBinding</strong>" contract="WorkflowDesigner.Server.Services.IWorkflowDesignerService">
              <identity>
                <dns value="localhost" />
              </identity>
            </endpoint>

Once I changed web.config to basicHttpBinding the error went away. Although I am new to this, I'm sure I didn't mess with these bindings so somehow the defaults values have caused me someserious  grief!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:17 AM
  • For everyone who declared their endpoint like this:
    EndpointAddress endpoint = new EndpointAddress("Your service url");

Be sure there is no "/mex" on the end of the given url. Otherwise you get the same error.
    • Proposed as answer by TSR Dev Monday, November 07, 2011 6:00 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:51 AM
  • For everyone who declared their endpoint like this:
    EndpointAddress endpoint = new EndpointAddress("Your service url");

Be sure there is no "/mex" on the end of the given url. Otherwise you get the same error.

You are way too awesome.

Thank You so much.

T$R
    Monday, November 07, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I too faced the issue "Client and service binding mismatch" and resolved.

the problem is i have created the WCF service using WCF-WSHttp and in recieve location both WCF-WSHttp and WCF-BasicHttp is present so i faced the issue. after deleting the WCF-WSHttp and Created WCF service Using WCF-BasicHttp and it worked fine:)

Aboorva Raja R

Monday, March 19, 2012 12:54 PM
  • njezzie2k333, this was the answer.  worked like majic.  thanks for posting!  my headaches are over :)
    Monday, April 02, 2012 9:02 PM
  • I just solved same problem. In my situation the reason was in the incorrect markup of SVC-file. 

Correct markup looks like this:

<%@ ServiceHost Language="C#" Debug="true" Service="MyServiceNamespace.MyService" CodeBehind="MyService.svc.cs" %>

Alexandr Kochurov

Monday, June 04, 2012 4:20 PM
  • I was getting the same error and never found the cause online, so for somebody else's sanity, I am going to toss it out here as it is a very obscure issue to find.  I had a project with multiple services.  Since we test against multiple environments, I was using SlowCheetah transforms to dynamically generate the addresses on the serviceModel -> client -> (multiple) endpoint -> address (attribute).  One service would always work, the others would always bomb.  The transform was causing the issue when it set all addresses to the same service address.  (Make sure your transforms work as you expect if you use them).

• Edited by codeape84 Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:11 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:07 PM
  • I got this problem after I added a method that returned a collection of instances of a base class that didn't have a [KnownType] attribute that would resolve to a concrete instance. With the [KnownType] attribute in place the problem disappeared.

[ServiceContract]
    public interface IService {
        [OperationContract]
        IEnumerable<ItemBase> GetItems();
    }

[DataContract]
    // [KnownType(typeof(RealItemA))] <--- without these attributes you will get a problem
    // [KnownType(typeof(RealItemB))]
    public class ItemBase {
    }

[DataContract]
    public class RealItemA : ItemBase {
    }

[DataContract]
    public class RealItemB : ITemBase {
    }

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:59 PM
  • My issue was that my svc file was pointing to theincorrect service - a service with a different binding too. So it was actually a binding mismatch, but it more importantly it was also a service contract mismatch.

I assume that the binding compatibility is checked before the contract match checking is done. It was just a stupid mistake on my side!

This was my issue as well .. renamed the service but forgot to update the service name in web.config.  Simply corrected the name and it was fixed
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:05 PM