none
Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.1) and .NET Framework 4 fails to install

Question

• I want to install FxCop 10, and am trying to install the SDK 7 and .NET Framework 4 package so that can happen. I am using the ISO file found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279 (I also tried the web installer and it has the same problem as I am about to describe)

I get through only a few seconds of installation before it fails with the following message:

Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information.

... which isn't too helpful since the Microsoft SDKs\Windows\7.1\ directory I assume it's talking about doesn't exist after the installation rolls back. It doesn't seem to be in the ISO either.

When I first attempted installation, I had VS 2010 SP1 installed. When it first failed, I rolled back SP1, same error. Then I uninstalled VS 2010 altogether, still no change. I'm on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with .NET 3.5 and 4 installed.

Here are the bits from the (very long) installation log that seem relevant:

From the middle (a similar message to this is repeated many times) 

Action start 11:39:58: DDSE_CA_Uninstall_InstallExecuteSequenceStarts_amd64.
    08/09/12 11:39:58 DDSet_Status: LANGID: 1033
    08/09/12 11:39:58 DDSet_Entry: ImmediateDispatch: DDSE_CA_Uninstall_InstallExecuteSequenceStarts entry
    08/09/12 11:39:58 DDSet_Error: Patch Hooks: Missing required property 'ProductFamily': Setup cannot continue.
    08/09/12 11:39:58 DDSet_Warning: Setup failed while calling 'getDLLName'. System error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

From the end:

11:39:56 AM Thursday, August 09, 2012: SFX C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installation started with log file C:\Users\alslover\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7_61eccd13-c678-4647-bdb4-87a488c8986a_SFX.log
    11:39:58 AM Thursday, August 09, 2012: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installation failed with return code 5100
    11:40:00 AM Thursday, August 09, 2012: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (failed): Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack:    at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureRelatedSfx()    at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)
    11:40:01 AM Thursday, August 09, 2012: [SDKSetup:Info] Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7
    11:40:01 AM Thursday, August 09, 2012: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack:    at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)    at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)    at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent)    at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:40 PM

Answers

All replies