none
VIsual Studio 2010 SP1 installation fails on uninstall of RiaServices

Question

• During the installation of Visual Studio SP1, Setup.exe tries to uninstall RiaServices. But it somehow cannot find the original RiaServices.msi file, so it cannot uninstall RiaServices (why?), so it stops installing SP1. Not very friendly...

Setup also does not accept a RiaServices.msi file that I downloaded for this purpose.

How do I unstall RiaServices v1.0 without having access to this RiaServices.msi?

Thanks,
    Paul

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Paultje,

Thank you for posting.

You current status is:

When you installed VS2010 SP1, it will try to uninstall Ria Services from your machine.

If I’m correct, I think we should take some time to analysis your question first. I’ll feel free to let you know if we have made any process.

Thank you for your patient.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hi Paultje,

Some question needs to clarify with you.

What version of your VS2010 SP1? Beta or others?

I suggest you can download VS2010 SP1 and type C:\Users\v-xugong\Desktop\VS10sp1-KB983509 /log <file|folder> command to generate the installation log file which can help you to diagnose the question. Please share it with us.

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi Larcolais,

I'm installing the official version of VS2010 SP1. I tried both the Web Installer version and the ISO version: same result.

What exactly do you mean with "type C:\Users\v-xugong\Desktop\VS10sp1-KB983509 /log <file|folder> command"?

Kind regards,
    Paul

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi Paultje,

When you type the executable program path of VS2010 SP1, you can add /? command behind VS10sp1-KB983509.exe.  You will find /log <file|folder> command. For example, < VS10sp1-KB983509.exe file path> /log <the path you want to save this log file on your machine>

This file can help us to get more detailed information and analysis the root cause about your question. Please share this file in your reply. You can use some third party software to share it. (eg. SkyDrive, etc.)

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:42 AM
  • There is no file  VS10sp1-KB983509.exe on the DVD that I burned from the ISO file...
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:49 PM
  • The RiaServices.msi file has to be the version that Windows Installer is trying to upgrade (which it does by removing the old and installing the new), and with the same file name.

Since you've already done the install, you can download and run the log collection utility from http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043. A description of this tool is available at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/05/20/collect.aspx.

This will create a file at %TEMP%\vslogs.cab which you can upload to a file hosting site like SkyDrive.com, which you can use the same Live ID you use for forums to get 25GB free.

You can post the URL to that file here and we can determine exactly which version of RIA Services you need to download in order to satisfy the prompt for source and proceed with the install of SP1.

Thank you.

Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience Team http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths
    • Proposed as answer by Larcolais Gong Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hello Heath,

Thanks for your support.

I have made a log collection, it can be found at www.psycro.com/vslogs.cab

Kind regards,

Paul

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem. I think the problem really is in the uninstaller of wcf ria services v1.0 for vs2k10. The exact same prompt comes up when i attempt to uninstall it.

One thing to note about my configuration.

win2k8 r2 x64 and my system drive is not c:\. It probably stems from cleaning up my c:\ drive which is my dev drive and deleting this odd folder that is being requested. I have looked through the vs 2k10 install file set and cannot find this file. perhaps it is extracted from a cab file?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem. I think the problem really is in the uninstaller of wcf ria services v1.0 for vs2k10. The exact same prompt comes up when i attempt to uninstall it.

One thing to note about my configuration.

win2k8 r2 x64 and my system drive is not c:\. It probably stems from cleaning up my c:\ drive which is my dev drive and deleting this odd folder that is being requested. I have looked through the vs 2k10 install file set and cannot find this file. perhaps it is extracted from a cab file?

download this, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=CD3191A1-DEF4-4CAA-8120-1F0BBCF4BB05, to some location and make note of it. then run the sp1 installer again and when prompted point it to that file.

and viola my scar!

• Proposed as answer by thejlb2 Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Thank you for providing this information. That is correct that it's the uninstall causing the problem. When SP1 installs RIA Service 1.1, it removes 1.0 and installs 1.1 in a seamless transaction. However, a problem with RIA Services 1.0 uninstall will prevent 1.1 from installing.

Looking at Paultje's logs, the underlying cause for the uninstall failure is because the cached MSI was missing.

MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Warning: Local cached package 'C:\Windows\Installer\792197.msi' is missing.

Neither of you have deleted any files under %SystemRoot%\Installer have you? I ask only because if you didn't, something else did and I can investigate further. Files in this specific directory are important to keep so Windows Installer can function properly.

As jbreiding noted, downloading that file and remembering the location when prompted will work. Be sure not to rename the file, though. For example, if IE appended [1] to the file name when you installed it, be sure to save it the same way again (in the source prompt, you'll see the file name requested).

Thank you, jbreiding, for your quick response for a solution.

Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience Team http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:51 PM
  • no problem, I have little bit of experience with these kinds of things. also of note, my cached location was not c:\windows\installer\* it was c:\somekindofgenerateddirname\riaservices.msi.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Thank you both for your help.

Unfortunately if I follow the procedure (download RiaServices.msi from the link you supplied and when prompted pointing Setup.exe to the download location) I get the following message:

The file 'c:\Users\brinkp\Downloads\RiaServices.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product WCF RIA Services 1.0 for Visual Studio 2010. Try to find the installation package 'RiaServices.msi' in a folder from which you can install WCF RIA Services V1.0 for Visual Studion 2010.

Do I need another version of the download?

Cheers,
    Paul

Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:34 PM
  • That may be where it was originally extracted to, but the cache I speak of is where Windows Installer puts all its packages files that are installed. If you're interested in learning more, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2005/11/29/498018.aspx.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Are you using the link from above?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=CD3191A1-DEF4-4CAA-8120-1F0BBCF4BB05

Looking at the logs you shared above and comparing the ProductCodes from that download to what's being prompted, this should be correct:

---
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Warning: Local cached package 'C:\Windows\Installer\792197.msi' is missing.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: User policy value 'SearchOrder' is 'nmu'
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: User policy value 'DisableMedia' is 0
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Machine policy value 'AllowLockdownMedia' is 1
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Looking for sourcelist for product {8FFC6175-D2C5-4FA7-91E8-E2A9431A5CDA}
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Adding {8FFC6175-D2C5-4FA7-91E8-E2A9431A5CDA}; to potential sourcelist list (pcode;disk;relpath).
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Now checking product {8FFC6175-D2C5-4FA7-91E8-E2A9431A5CDA}
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Attempting to use LastUsedSource from source list.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Trying source f:\b13bae484d673175aeff\.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Note: 1: 2203 2: F:\b13bae484d673175aeff\RiaServices.msi 3: -2147287037
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Source is invalid due to missing/inaccessible package.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Note: 1: 1706 2: -2147483647 3: RiaServices.msi
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Processing net source list.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: Note: 1: 1706 2: -2147483647 3: RiaServices.msi
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:778]: SOURCEMGMT: Processing media source list.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:918]: SOURCEMGMT: Trying media source D:\.
    MSI (s) (9C:60) [17:19:34:918]: SOURCEMGMT: Source is invalid due to invalid package code (product code doesn't match).
    ---

One possibility is that once you download it, you may need to unblock it. Right-click on RiaServices.msi that you downloaded, select Properties, then click the Unblock button in the General tab (if there). Once that is done, try providing this location as source again.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:31 PM
  • I am having the same problem and I believe the common problem we are all having is we have a different version of RIA Services installed on our machines than we are installing and we do not (any longer at least) have the 'RaiServices.msi' that was used to install the version we have.  My Version is 4.0.50401.0.  I can not find that version on the net.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:19 AM
  • http://forums.iis.net/p/1176418/1975413.aspx#1975413 

Irving was able to fix the 4.0.50401.0 RIA services and then VS10SP1.  and another customer successful overcome similiar problem that by installing Sliverlight 4 Tools.

Can you try the same mechanism?
    Friday, March 18, 2011 4:57 PM
  • I did the same as Irving, found the entry in the registry, but unfortunately it points to a non-existing file!

Also reinstalling Silverlight 4 Tools did not work for me...

Still no way out for me!

Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:14 PM
  • I have the same issues as you guys are having with the RIA, except it's for SQL System CLR Types.  It won't accept any downloaded file, and the "fix" that was suggested by my helpful Win 7 solution center (MS FIX IT) messed up my registry to the point that I now cannot un-install, reinstall, or repair the CLR type file, or any other SQL related file, because the msi installer is looking for several keys in the registry that it can't find.  I have deleted everything SQL related on my machine, reinstalled VS2010 Pro from scratch, and I still can't apply SP1.  I also can't reinstall SQL Server 2008 R2 for the same reasons.

I've lost about 20 hours of valuable development time to this mess, and I'm left with a development machine that can no longer do anything with SQL Server.  This is forcing a complete re-install of Windows for me.  Another time consuming task that my employer is very pleased about.  (We image data, not full drives beyond initial setup)

I'm left to ask what possible reason why msi files don't have a "fail safe" mode where you can at least remove the installed package cleanly, if there is a problem like this with an upgrade. If someone here knows how to do that, I would really appreciate knowing.  I'm sorry that I sound cranky, but I've been at this since 9:00 this morning, and it's now almost 9:00 PM.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Could you please send the latest installation log file to me?  v-xugong at microsoft.com

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Indeed, why is er no simple fall-back uninstall that does not require the msi?
    Paul

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:47 PM
  • No, I never install betas on my development machine.
    Paul
    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Could you please collect the installation file according to Heath's mentioned in his previous reply and send it to us? v-xugong at microsoft.com

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Hi Larcolais,

I already posted the installation file: see my reply from Wednesday, March 16. Heath also had a look at this installation file and came with a suggestion. Unfortunately this did not work, also unblocking the file RiaServices.msi did not help.

The problem may be that my version of RiaServices is 4.0.50401.0, while the version on the download site is 4.0.50506.0

To the (de)installer that seems enough of a difference to refuse to deinstall...

Paul

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Please have the following suggestions a try.

1. Makes sure the RiaServices is removed from Microsoft SDKs folder by Add/remove programs

2. Remove the followings from registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\5716CFF85C2D7AF4198E2E9A34A1C5AD
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\5716CFF85C2D7AF4198E2E9A34A1C5AD
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\5716CFF85C2D7AF4198E2E9A34A1C5AD
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8FFC6175-D2C5-4FA7-91E8-E2A9431A5CDA}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\5716CFF85C2D7AF4198E2E9A34A1C5AD
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\F9B8EA7C379B1F24EBF1CB8467A7EF11
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\F9B8EA7C379B1F24EBF1CB8467A7EF11

Please see here for more information.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hello Larcolais,

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I cannot uninstall the RiaServices from 'Add/remove programs' either because of the same reason.

Kind regards,
    Paul

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Hi Paultje,

V1.0 SP1 RTM will upgrade from previous versions. Could you please check Jeff’s blog about WCF RIA Service V1.0 SP1? You can try to download this and try it again.

In addition, I suggest you can ask your question to WCF forum. I think you can get more helpful replies in WCF forum.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Larcolais,

Thanks for your help.

In the meantime I have solved it with the help of someone on the IIS forum: he had found (and luckily kept) a copy of the right version of RiaServices.msi.

I must add that it is very strange that you can only uninstall a product with the installation that was used to install it. If somehow this gets deleted, you're in trouble.

I'm sure this (what I would consider a design-flaw) has cost a lot of people, including you, a lot of time!

But thanks for all your help!
    Paul

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:07 PM
  • You can uninstall a product without the original source. But if the cached copy of that MSI (Windows Installer always creates a copy of the MSI itself) is removed, or a file is needed (for example, to run a custom action during uninstall) and the files for that MSI are missing, Windows Installer prompts.

In these cases so far for RiaServices I've seen, it appears that the cached MSI file is missing. Nothing should ever be deleted from directly under %WINDIR%\Installer, so something must've deleted the file. Have you run any sort of clean-up tools recently?

Friday, March 25, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Nope, I never (consciously and manually) removed a file in the Windows directory and I don't trust clean-up tools.

Looks like it will always be a mistery. But I got it working and that's what counts...

Thanks for you help,
    Paul

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I have the same problem. I think it's related to the Windows Phone 7 SDK and SP1 adn maybe Lightswitch. I uninstalled everything (i think) including VS10. I then:
    * Installed VS2010

* Installed SP 1

* Installed Windows Phone 7 SDK

* Installed Lightswitch

When I try to run VS10, it says not everything is updated to SP1, I need to reapply. So I do ans then it gives me the RIaServices.msi error. I also encountered the same thing for vc_runtime_x86.msi and x64 on my laptop...

Does this help? I can't run my VS anymore because it says it's not SP1, but I cant install SP1 because the RIaServices.msi seem not to be correct (see above error).

Please advice...

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi BJoziasse,

Thanks for your help, but as said I have solved it by getting the old RiaServices.msi from someone. With this I could uninstall the RiaServices.

Thanks,

Paul

Thursday, May 05, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Well, what'll you know. I rebooted, tried it again, now, a different error occurs, silverlight_sdk.msi not found. So I downloaded the tools 4 and extracted them, and there is also the RiaServices.msi. I pointed to the SIlverlight_sdk.msi and it's still installing. All looks well, for now.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Doh, vc_runtime_x86.msi error...

You may fixed it, but I still don't have the correct MSI's. :(

Thursday, May 05, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Doh, vc_runtime_x86.msi error...

You may fixed it, but I still don't have the correct MSI's. :(

Okay, this worked for me. I uninstalled the C++ Runtime (all of it) and tried the SP1 installation again. It worked.

Maybe anyone have MSI troubles can do the same for the specific MSI it's requesting.

Friday, May 06, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hi ! I had same exactly the same problem and i could fix it wit this link: WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1 for Silverlight 4 The sp1 package looks for the ria services sp1 which is the 1.1 version and not the 1.0 that you can download from here: WCF RIA Services V1.0 for Silverlight 4 and Visual Studio 2010 anyway i did downloaded the file, putted the path for my downloaded file y that was all

U need the first file to fix ur problem

good luck !

Compartir es aprender To share is to learn 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Nayarit; México
    • Proposed as answer by Will Peters Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:34 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Thanks Civil Developer, I wish I had these links when I needed them! I had to solve it the hard way...

But it works now.

Paul

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Civil - you`re my saviour at this time :)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Thanks Mad Code, the SPI package went further when dowloading your first link

c.habib
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:41 PM
  • The best solution, I found, and this was on a number of machines with various stuff installed was to download the .iso version, extract it to a folder using winzip or some such program, and then running the setup, everything i needed was in there.

The link to the .iso on the microsoft website is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210710

See ya

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:28 PM
  • It is looking for SP1 of WCF RIA which is available here : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14880

Deeps

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Thank you Larcolais Gong for giving above solution.

You saved me one day, I was facing RiaServices un-installation issue while re-installing Microsoft Visual Studio SP1.

Please follow above steps to overcome this issue,

Thanks, Vishwanath[NewDelhi, India]

Friday, July 06, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Thank you! Like so many here, I've suffered this time vacum of a bug and your post helped me out of it. Hopefully no more from here. For the search engines, I ended up here while trying to "reapply VS2010SP1" in an effort to fix "SSMS 2012 RTM missing components". One nasty bug after another :(

...and it continues with DotfuscatorCE_5.0.2500.msi. At least the version number is clear this time.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hello. Faced with the same problem. I went from a situation like that.
    I've installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1_10.0.40219 from disk f, and I asked the installer RiaServices.msi presence in the temporary folder C: \ Users \ user1 \ AppData \ Local \ Temp \ Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1_10.0.40219. But I noticed that the disk was created f temporary folder. And here's where I put him RiaServices.msi. And the installer earned as needed. Maybe this will help to someone. From SW. marina
    Friday, August 30, 2013 3:57 PM