none
Buffer Size error when retrieving Metadata - How to increase size?

Question

• I am trying to retrieve the MetaData from the WCF Service using the following method.

// Create a MetadataExchangeClient for retrieving metadata.
    EndpointAddress mexAddress = new EndpointAddress( uri );
    MetadataExchangeClient mexClient = new MetadataExchangeClient( mexAddress );

// Retrieve the metadata for all endpoints using metadata exchange protocol (mex).
    MetadataSet metadataSet = mexClient.GetMetadata();

How do I increase the buffer size?

Thanks,
    Dave

An exception is being generated

Metadata contains a reference that cannot be resolved: 'http://localhost/EventTest/ServiceReport.svc/mex/'.

at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.MetadataRetriever.Retrieve(TimeoutHelper timeoutHelper)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.ResolveNext(ResolveCallState resolveCallState)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.GetMetadata(MetadataRetriever retriever)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.GetMetadata(EndpointAddress address)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.GetMetadata()
    at Utiltiies.WCF.Services.MetaData.Retrieve(String uri) in C:\temp\XmlGenerator\ServiceUtiltiies\MetaData.cs:line 61

Inner Exception

The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.
    Server stack trace:
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.ThrowMaxReceivedMessageSizeExceeded()
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.GetMessageBuffer()
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.ReadBufferedMessage(Stream inputStream)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.ParseIncomingMessage(Exception& requestException)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
    Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.IMetadataExchange.Get(Message request)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.MetadataReferenceRetriever.DownloadMetadata(TimeoutHelper timeoutHelper)
    at System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient.MetadataRetriever.Retrieve(TimeoutHelper timeoutHelper)

Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:26 PM

Answers

• The <mexHttpBinding> configuration section doesn't have any properties. In fact, it is just a wrapper for WSHttpBinding internally, with SecurityMode.None.

The following code will work:

System.ServiceModel.WSHttpBinding binding = new System.ServiceModel.WSHttpBinding(System.ServiceModel.SecurityMode.None);

binding.MaxReceivedMessageSize = 50000000;

System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient mexClient = new System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient(binding);

System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataSet metadataSet = mexClient.GetMetadata(new System.ServiceModel.EndpointAddress("http://localhost:8000/HelloIndigo/mex"));

It turns out you can set the endpoint when you call GetMetadata() so my earlier observation that the construction process was limiting, it something we can overcome by intitializing with the binding, and supplying endpoint during the call. Supply your own endpoint of course :)

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:51 PM
  • I just posted two samples for this, that illustrate service configuration for larger mex binding, with a client that is config-based, and another that is code-based.

http://www.dasblonde.net/downloads/wcf/CustomMexBinding.zip

http://www.dasblonde.net/downloads/wcf/CustomMexBindingCode.zip

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:32 PM

All replies

• The way you are initializing the MetadataExchangeClient type it is expecting to find an IMetadataExchange endpoint configuration in the client config file. If you don't provide one, it creates one using defaults for wsHttpBinding for you. If you do provide on, you can customize the binding config by supply this endpoint:

<endpoint contract="IMetadataExchange" binding="mexHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="mexHttp" address="mex" />

And this binding implementation with a larger received message size:

<wsHttpBinding>

<binding name="wsHttp" maxReceivedMessageSize ="5000000">

</binding>

</wsHttpBinding>

And, by the way, the service will also have the same problem, so you have to do the same on that end.

If you want to initialize the MetadataExchangClient binding using code, you could use the constructor that takes a binding parameter. The problem with this is that then you can't set the endpoint. So, it appears this class is poorly designed so that you can't do a fully functional customization of the endpoint and channel factory at runtime, due to private members. I hope that is fixed!!!!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:45 PM
  • I tried as you sugessted using this as the config file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
        <system.serviceModel>
            <bindings>
                <wsHttpBinding>
                    <binding name="wsHttp" maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000" />
                </wsHttpBinding>
            </bindings>
            <client>
                <endpoint
                    address="mex"
                    binding="mexHttpBinding"
                    contract="IMetadataExchange"
                    bindingConfiguration="mexHttp" />
            </client>
        </system.serviceModel>
    </configuration>

This however, throws an exception of

There is no binding named 'mexHttp' at system.serviceModel/bindings/mexHttpBinding. Invalid value for bindingConfiguration.

If I add a new binding section

<mexHttpBinding>
                    <binding name="mexHttp" />
                </mexHttpBinding>

and re-run the code I get

The given URI must be absolute.
    Parameter name: uri

I then name my endpoint

<endpoint
            name="myendpoint"
            address="mex"
            binding="mexHttpBinding"
            bindingConfiguration="mexHttp" />

I get the same error, I had before

If I add the message size

<mexHttpBinding>
                    <binding name="mexHttp" maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000" />
                </mexHttpBinding>

I get

Unrecognized attribute 'maxReceivedMessageSize'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

Friday, July 28, 2006 12:17 PM
  • The <mexHttpBinding> configuration section doesn't have any properties. In fact, it is just a wrapper for WSHttpBinding internally, with SecurityMode.None.

The following code will work:

System.ServiceModel.WSHttpBinding binding = new System.ServiceModel.WSHttpBinding(System.ServiceModel.SecurityMode.None);

binding.MaxReceivedMessageSize = 50000000;

System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient mexClient = new System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataExchangeClient(binding);

System.ServiceModel.Description.MetadataSet metadataSet = mexClient.GetMetadata(new System.ServiceModel.EndpointAddress("http://localhost:8000/HelloIndigo/mex"));

It turns out you can set the endpoint when you call GetMetadata() so my earlier observation that the construction process was limiting, it something we can overcome by intitializing with the binding, and supplying endpoint during the call. Supply your own endpoint of course :)

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:51 PM
  • I just posted two samples for this, that illustrate service configuration for larger mex binding, with a client that is config-based, and another that is code-based.

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:32 PM
  • Setting my config to

<configuration>
        <system.serviceModel>

<bindings>
                <wsHttpBinding>
                    <binding name="mexBinding" maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000">
                        <security mode="None"/>
                    </binding>
                </wsHttpBinding>
            </bindings>
            <client>
                <endpoint
                    binding="wsHttpBinding"
                    bindingConfiguration="mexBinding" />
            </client>
        </system.serviceModel>
    </configuration>

fixed the issue.  I would like to note that the <security mode="None"/> node MUST be included for it to work.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave 

Friday, July 28, 2006 8:26 PM
  • hi

i just had a query. is it possible that use some other metadata which is not wsdl. how can i do that programatically using metadataset class. how can i import metadata that is not wsdl.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:22 AM
  • I am using SIF to access WCF .It worked for me. Thanaks dude!!!!
    Sunday, July 01, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Below is what my web.config file looks like.  I'm not sure how to edit/interject what is being recommended.  Can someone please help me?  Thanks!

<configuration>

<system.serviceModel>

<services>

<!-- Address -->

<service name="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.Address" behaviorConfiguration="AddressBehavior">

<endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding"

contract="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.IAddress"/>

<endpoint contract="IMetadataExchange" binding="mexHttpBinding" address="mex" />

</service>

<!-- Animal -->

<service name="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.Animal" behaviorConfiguration="AnimalBehavior">

contract="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.IAnimal"/>

<endpoint contract="IMetadataExchange" binding="mexHttpBinding" address="mex" />

</service>

<!-- Arrival -->

<service name="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.Arrival" behaviorConfiguration="ArrivalBehavior">

contract="FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.FRC.COW.Feedyard.Service.IArrival"/>

</service>

</services>

<behaviors>

<serviceBehaviors>

<!-- Address -->

<behavior name="AddressBehavior" >

<serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" />

<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true" />

</behavior>

<!-- Arrival -->

<behavior name="ArrivalBehavior" >

</behavior>

<!-- Animal -->

<behavior name="AnimalBehavior" >

</behavior>

</serviceBehaviors>

</behaviors>

</system.serviceModel>

</configuration>

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:30 PM
  • See the samples I posted here for creating a custom mexHttpBinding using wsHttpBinding instead.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:35 PM
  • Hi there.

I am usng VS 2008 and Created a Simple Service (Not A WCF Service). I am getting the Same Exception when I call a method in My web service.

The solution given here is for WCF Service. I have a simple service with the framework 3.5

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

thanks

Amol wankhede

Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I attempted to rewrite the code below to use new MetadataExchangeClient(binding);

But it gave an error about not passing the Username. I am using SmartChannelFactory with Username authentication. In my code Username and Password are not passed in until much later. The code below is in the Initializion process.

It gives an error about MaxReceivedMessageSize is over 65536.

How do I rewrite the code below to set the MaxReceivedMessageSize to 50000000?

try

{

//Check if the service is started @ the baseAddress provided

System.Net.WebRequest.Create(serviceMexAddress).GetResponse();

//Import metadata

MetadataExchangeClient __mexClient = new MetadataExchangeClient(serviceMexAddress, MetadataExchangeClientMode.HttpGet);

MetadataSet __metadataSet = __mexClient.GetMetadata();

WsdlImporter __importer = new WsdlImporter(__metadataSet);

//Add custom wsdl importer to read wsdl timestamp info

__importer.WsdlImportExtensions.Add(new WsdlContractTimestampImporter());

Collection<ContractDescription> __contractDescritions = __importer.ImportAllContracts();

//Resolve wsdl into ServiceEndpointCollection

__serviceEndPoints = MetadataResolver.Resolve(__contractDescritions, serviceMexAddress, MetadataExchangeClientMode.HttpGet, __mexClient);

}

catch(InvalidOperationException ioe)

{

//Service is offline or cannot be reached.

throw new CommunicationException(String.Format("There is no Endpoint listening at {0}. Check that the service is running.", serviceMexAddress));

}

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:44 PM
  • I figured out how to handle my problem and it works now.

MetadataExchangeClient __mexClient = null;

MetadataSet __metadataSet = null;

if (_binding != null)

{

__mexClient = new MetadataExchangeClient(_binding);

__metadataSet = __mexClient.GetMetadata(serviceMexAddress, MetadataExchangeClientMode.HttpGet);

}

else

{

//Import metadata

__mexClient = new MetadataExchangeClient(serviceMexAddress, MetadataExchangeClientMode.HttpGet);

__metadataSet = __mexClient.GetMetadata();

}

WsdlImporter __importer = new WsdlImporter(__metadataSet);

Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:03 PM
  • In my experience, setting maxReceivedMessageSize alone is not enough. The exception only disappeared after increasing maxBufferSize from the default of 65536 as well.

The situation I got the error however was slightly different for two reasons: I was using a service reference instead of trying to retrieve metadata, second, my binding is a netTcpBinding.

So to recap, in app.config, change the mentioned values:

<system.serviceModel>
    <
    bindings>
    <
    netTcpBinding>
    <

binding name="NetTcpBinding_IMyService" maxBufferSize="5000000" maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000" />
    </netTcpBinding>
    </bindings>
    <
    client>
    <endpoint address="net.tcp://localhost:10000/Services/MyService" binding="netTcpBinding" bindingConfiguration="NetTcpBinding_IMyService" contract="CangarooService.IMyService" name="NetTcpBinding_IMyService" />
    </
    client>
    </system.serviceModel>

• Proposed as answer by Oleh Zheleznyak Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:17 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I am using basicHttpBinding, but Eric's suggestion above fixed it for me.  I just increased those two settings and it works great.  Thanks Eric

<

basicHttpBinding>

maxBufferSize="5000000" maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000"

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:47 PM
  • KLM Eric's solution worked for me !!!

Find the file:   "app.config"

find the property:

<configuration>

<system.serviceModel>

<bindings>

<basicHttpBinding>  

<binding name="Your Soap Service name here here"   ..............

find the attributes:

maxBufferSize="65535"  maxReceivedMessageSize="65535"

and change them to:

maxBufferSize="5000000"  maxReceivedMessageSize="5000000"

save, compile, smile :)

Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:13 AM