none
sxstrace error

Question

• I'm getting a side-by-side error, and I'm trying to diagnose it with sxstrace, but sxstrace gives me an error:

Z:\>sxstrace trace -logfile:blah.etl
    StartTrace failed. Error message is:
    Access is denied.

I'm a member of the Administrators group on the computer, which is all I thought I needed to run sxstrace. What other super powers does my account need in order to run sxstrace? Does the machine need to have VS on it? The machine is a base install of Vista plus Office.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:42 PM

All replies

• I created another account, and sxstrace works for that account. My account is a domain account, and I'm a member of Domain Admins, and DOMAIN\Domain Admins is a member of MACHINE\Administrators. I tried adding my account to MACHINE\Performance Log Users, but that didn't help. The new account was created on MACHINE and it's a member of the "Users" and "Performance Log Users" groups. I wasn't able to run sxstrace when my test account was just a member of Users and Administrators.

The documentation for StartTrace (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364117.aspx) makes it look like an account that's in the MACHINE\Administrators group should be able to start a trace session. Am I reading that wrong?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Same with me. But..

Try this:

Press "Start" -> " All Programs" -> "Accessories"

you will get "Command Prompt" listed

Then, Right click on "Command Prompt" -> select "Run as Administrator"

Finish

• Proposed as answer by brainn Monday, June 23, 2008 6:59 PM
    Friday, February 08, 2008 3:58 AM