none
Image in Description is still hell in TFS 2012

Question

• Dear MS,

We waited from 2008 to 2010, and waited from 2010 to 2012. We have seen that Google Chrome were born and grew up,  it pastes image to email body without image file saving first, what were you doing Microsoft?

Why we use IE9/10 to insert a image it always jumps to the front of the description rather than cursor position? Why Google Chrome could do it without any problem?

How can we insert a image comes from a URL?

Why images are always scale down? How can we restore their original size?

Do you know what is the only reason that our team members and project leaders refuse using TFS? Yes,  you hit it this time -- description with image in TFS is a hell.

Best Regards,
    dotAge

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi DotAge, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right. We can’t copy the image from Snipping Tool and paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access, or copy image from disk and paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access directly, we need to click Insert image button add the image to Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access under this scenario.

But as far as I know we can copy image from other web site or page, then paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access directly, you can test that. And while open work item in VS 2012, the copy and paste the image in Description field works nice. 

For the add image into Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access scenario, I suggest you submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi DotAge, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tested to copy a block of contents with rich text and images from MS Word to Description field(in VS 2012), only the text part is pasted and images are just displayed as blank placeholders. After save work item, it only has the text display in field. 

For this scenario, I suggest you submit it to Microsoft Connect Feedback portal at: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:27 AM

All replies

• I'm still on 2010 but planned on 2012 as I thought this was part of the new features.

You might want to check out this other discussion ...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfswebaccess/thread/68e33e59-508f-41b3-b4b5-b711919491e1

MP

Monday, January 14, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi DotAge,

Thanks for your post.

As MP said, there has the new feature in TFS 2012 work item Description field. We can copy and paste the image into work item Description directly.

If you have any issue about the work item Description field in TFS 2012, please provide the detailed reproduce steps here.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for you reply.

Nothing special, I just use Alt-PrtScn or Snipping Tool to copy a screenshot, or copy image in any other application, then go to the description box:

In IE10, the Paste function in the context menu is disabled, and nothing happens when I press Ctrl-C;

In Google Chrome, the Paste menu is enable, but also nothing happens when I click it or press Ctrl-C.

So I can only try to save the screenshot or other pictures in documents or web page first to local disk, use the "insert image" button:

In IE10, the uploaded image always be scaled down, and always jumps to the very front of the description, I have to cut and paste it to the right position!

In Chrome, the uploaded image also be scaled down, a little better than IE10 is that's position is in the correct position.

The image that scaled down is too small and very hard to view, I must enlarge it manually, but the aspect ratio couldn't be kept while enlarging operation, so the image becomes very ugly!

I had upgraded my TFS 2012 to update 1. Do you have some learning videos about this? Thanks!

Best Regards,
    dotAge

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Hi DotAge, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right. We can’t copy the image from Snipping Tool and paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access, or copy image from disk and paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access directly, we need to click Insert image button add the image to Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access under this scenario.

But as far as I know we can copy image from other web site or page, then paste it into the Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access directly, you can test that. And while open work item in VS 2012, the copy and paste the image in Description field works nice. 

For the add image into Description field in TFS 2012 Web Access scenario, I suggest you submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your information!I am glad to hear that VS2012 IDE works fine for the feature, I confirm that a single image could be paste into description directly now.

But when I select and copy a block of contents with rich text and images from MS Word or Google mail web page, only text part is pasted, images are just displayed as blank placeholders.

I think that the feature is still not perfect.

Best Regards,
    dotAge

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hi DotAge, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tested to copy a block of contents with rich text and images from MS Word to Description field(in VS 2012), only the text part is pasted and images are just displayed as blank placeholders. After save work item, it only has the text display in field. 

For this scenario, I suggest you submit it to Microsoft Connect Feedback portal at: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:27 AM