none
Epson TM-U230 - is my printer connected to pc

Question

• Hi,

I am new to POS printing. I searched around on this forum and as advised, installed Epson ADK for .Net from EpsonExpert.com and also installed POS for .net.

The problem I have is that I don't know if my printer is connected to my computer properly. I have an Epson TM-U230 that has a 25 pin serial port. My laptop only has usb. So I connected the printer to the laptop using a serial to usb plug (serial at the printer end and usb at the laptop end). I am not sure if this worked. Is there anyway I can print a test page? As stated earlier I already installed OPOS ADK for .Net. Are there any additional drivers that I need to install for this printer?

I will be greatful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Friday, October 01, 2010 3:00 AM

Answers

• Here is the response I received from Epson support. Hope it can help anyone else with the same questions.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are using our driver, that configuration will not work. Those usb to serial adapters do not work with our drivers since they do not map the I/O and interrupts to traditional COM ports. You can test your setup using the Generic Text Only printer driver that is supplied with Windows but if you want to use our driver, I would suggest changing the interface in the printer to USB not using an external adapter.

The printer has a modular interface. You can remove the serial interface and put in a USB interface. The USB interface is known as a "UB-U03II - you can search for that name on the internet to find resellers who sell them.

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:24 PM

All replies

• I would suggest that you contact Epson for instructions on how to confirm that you can communicate with this printer in this configuration.  They may have a mechanism to confirm communication.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, October 01, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I just submitted my question to them. Lets hope they have an answer for me.
    Friday, October 01, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Just be aware that not all USB-to-Serial adapters are created equal. In another project, we have found that dogles using the Prolific USB-to-RS232 (PL-2303) are the best. If the OPOS driver is setup correctly, you could try the sample application with the SDK to test the printer connection.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Here is the response I received from Epson support. Hope it can help anyone else with the same questions.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are using our driver, that configuration will not work. Those usb to serial adapters do not work with our drivers since they do not map the I/O and interrupts to traditional COM ports. You can test your setup using the Generic Text Only printer driver that is supplied with Windows but if you want to use our driver, I would suggest changing the interface in the printer to USB not using an external adapter.

The printer has a modular interface. You can remove the serial interface and put in a USB interface. The USB interface is known as a "UB-U03II - you can search for that name on the internet to find resellers who sell them.

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:24 PM