none
Can't Get Developer License In Windows 8 For Visual Studio 2012

Question

• When ever I Try To Get My Developer's License In Windows 8 Professional With WMC For Visual Studio Ultimate With Blend I Get This Error "We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8" Error 0xC03F1014. See it here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0v80spgtgvuikx8 . I Tried Turning Of My Firewall, Switching To A Local Account, Using Power Shell With Administrator Rights, Trying Other Microsoft Accounts etc. I Did A Clean Windows 8 Pro Installation And Activated It With My Key And Also Activated And Registered Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate With Blend. I Tried Doing Everything. I Have Only Installed Silverlight, MS Visual Studio 2012 And Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus. I Need Urgent Help, I Updated My Windows With All Optional And Recommended Updates. I Have 64-bit Windows, Silverlight, Office and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate With Blend. Please Help Me As Soon As Possible.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:17 PM

Answers

• I GOT THE SOLUTION!!!

FIRST INSTALL WINDOWS 8 RELEASE PREVIEW AND GET THE DEVELOPER LICENSE IN IT BY OPENING WINDOWS SHELL BY ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS AND THEN BY TYPING IN THIS CODE:  Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration Then Press Enter

THEN UPGRADE THE RELEASE PREVIEW BY WINDOWS 8 PROFESSIONAL AND INSTALL VISUAL STUDIO 2012 IN IT AND CLICK GET LICENSE AND TYPE IN THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS THAT YOU USED TO GET THE DEVELOPER LICENSE IN WINDOWS 8 RELEASE PREVIEW.

THEN YOU WILL EASILY GET YOUR DEVELOPER LICENSE!

see it here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?m24vjp3ky7llho9

I asked the question and answered it myself lol :D

• Marked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:06 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Afnan,

In which way do you acquire a developer license? We have two ways:

• In Visual Studio, Project menu > Store > Acquire Developer license
    • In PowerShell console, Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration

Refer to this MSDN page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/Hh974578.aspx

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:22 AM
  • I Tried All Methods, I Can't Call Microsoft, Please Help Me Over Here. I Guess That Windows 8 Pro With WMC Is Not Released Yet Maybe That's Why It Is Not Available Or If Not Then Please Help Me. Can I Install A Developer License Manually By Downloading It Or Something? I Really Need Help :(
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Hi Afnan,

Did your Windows 8 upgrade from Windows 7?

If yes, it will cause your issue. More information you can refer to:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/9b6d1274-6dd0-45a0-8814-29f0500b9fa9

I am suggesting you ask for help from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/threads. Maybe you can got the solution there.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:53 AM
  • I Did A Clean New Install, No Upgrade, Please Help Me! :'(
    Friday, October 26, 2012 9:34 AM
  • i did a clean Installation...

how can i send a bug report so microsoft can fix it...
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:08 PM
  • you can use Snipping tool to take a picture or use Fraps to record a video of your screen and then upload it on Mediafire then post the link of it here on social MSDN.

Microsoft You Couldn't Help Me With My Issue That's Why Now I Have To Install Windows 8 Release Preview And Throw Away My Windows 8 Professional Which I Bought, You Couldn't Help Me:(

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:01 AM
  • OMG Now I Know I Can't Install VS 12 on Release Preview :'(

WHAT DO I DO, I GOT THE DEVELOPER LICENSE ON RELEASE PREVIEW, BUT CAN'T INSTALL VS 12 ON IT BUT I CAN'T GET THE DEVELOPER LICENSE ON Windows 8 PRO BUT CAN INSTALL VS12 ON IT!!!

I M GOING CRAZY!!!

Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Try Developer Preview
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Even I am facing a similar issue...If you get to know the solution please post
    • Marked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:59 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I GOT THE SOLUTION!!!

FIRST INSTALL WINDOWS 8 RELEASE PREVIEW AND GET THE DEVELOPER LICENSE IN IT BY OPENING WINDOWS SHELL BY ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS AND THEN BY TYPING IN THIS CODE:  Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration Then Press Enter

THEN UPGRADE THE RELEASE PREVIEW BY WINDOWS 8 PROFESSIONAL AND INSTALL VISUAL STUDIO 2012 IN IT AND CLICK GET LICENSE AND TYPE IN THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS THAT YOU USED TO GET THE DEVELOPER LICENSE IN WINDOWS 8 RELEASE PREVIEW.

THEN YOU WILL EASILY GET YOUR DEVELOPER LICENSE!

see it here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?m24vjp3ky7llho9

I asked the question and answered it myself lol :D

• Marked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:06 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:06 PM
  • That's not a solution ..
    At least not an affordable one...

• Marked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Afnan Makhdoom Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:16 PM
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:46 AM
  • why is not an affordable one? you have Windows 8 right, just install the release preview, (it's free) then get the license, then upgrade it with your Windows 8 and install VS11 in it, what's not affordable in it?
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Is the licence a tangible file?

Can we install Release Preview in a VM and copy the licence across?

Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi Aqr,

What happens if you run powershell and then type this:

Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration

Make sure you run Powershell as admininstrator (right click on it)

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration : Exception from HRESULT: 0xC03F1014
    At line:1 char:1
    + Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration], COMException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AcquireDeveloperLicenseException,Microsoft.Windows.DeveloperLicense.Commands.ShowWindows
       DeveloperLicenseRegistrationCommand

i get this after going through powershell

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Is there a proxy server in your network?

Does your proxy server require authentication?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:30 PM
  •    I tried many different networks: office network (no proxy), home network (router firewall but practically everything is opened), mobile connection (4G AT & T). Computer firewall is off. There is AVG antivirus which I tried to turn off - it didn't help.

- Alex

Alex

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Could you contact me here please?  http://blogs.msdn.com/jpsanders/contact.aspx

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Any solution to this yet?

-Creator-

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:40 AM
  • I think the problem is one of permissions. When I launched the PS console using administrator privileges, and then requested a license (Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration), it worked and I received one, and Visual Studio is now happy.

For context, I did a fresh install of Win8 Enterprise as a VM, and installed VS12 Ultimate. When I tried to get a dev license through DevStudio, it failed with error 0xc03f1014 (as everyone else), but as I said, I was able to successfully retrieve a license when I did so via the PowerShell console as an admin.

I have *not* tested launching Visual Studio as admin and trying to retrieve that way.

Hope this helps. Rock on!

• Proposed as answer by JeffieB96 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:32 PM