none
VS2010: Creating first installer package

Question

• Just wanted to say thank you to all who have helped me along the way learn...

After several months, I have finally finished my first project in VB. And though there are MANY tutorials and walk-throughs on creating installer packages, I have a few specific questions:

1. I have added a couple of references in my solution: one to MySQL/net and one to Excel. Obviously, since I will require Office to be installed BEFORE installation, this takes The Excel reference out of my question, but will I also need to include the MySQL/NET msi installer WITH my installer?
    2. I wrote my program on a 32-bit machine and the references point to the 32-bit "Program Files" folder and would like this to also be compatible with 64-bit machines (which typically uses "Program Files (x86) folder). Will these paths automatically update when I create my installer?
    3. I hard coded some connection information in My.Settings. How can I capture this location-specific information (server, database, etc) from a textbox during installation and write that to the My.Settings?

I think that's it for now. Many thanks!

I never expect anyone to rewrite my code. I am simply grateful for your continued patience, time, and your remembrance when you first started... HSSNE

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:40 PM

Answers

• Got the first 2 figured out, moving onto #3. I'll start a new thread as for new people, they may benefit from any responses...

I never expect anyone to rewrite my code. I am simply grateful for your continued patience, time, and your remembrance when you first started... HSSNE

• Marked as answer by HSSNE Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:16 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:16 PM

All replies

• Got the first 2 figured out, moving onto #3. I'll start a new thread as for new people, they may benefit from any responses...

• Marked as answer by HSSNE Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:16 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:05 AM