none
Visual Studio 2008 Javascript editor crashes the IDE

Question

• I need some help troubleshooting my problem.  I am on Vista x64 using Visual Studio Standard 2008 SP1. I also have VisualSVN, Resharper, Gallio plugins alongside with Team System plugin.
    When I attempt to open NerdDinner.com source code, my IDE seem to just quit w/o any error messages.  It seems that the error occurs when I try to open any JavaScript files.  I am sure there might be 3rd party plugin causing this, but first thing first  how do I look up the reason for and IDE quit or rather turn on debug features so I can trace the exact execution point when IDE quits.
    I am rather new to .Net VS errors like this.

If this is not an appropriate forum, I would welcome any guidance where to repost so I can find experts on VS integration.

thanks.
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 2:59 AM Do not follow up
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 4:14 AM Follow up
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

• Apologies for not following up right way.  I was able to resolve the issue.  It appears I did have the fix for KB958502.  After applying that fix on VS 2008, i no longer experience crashes when i attempt to open JavaScript files.  If this issue comes back or any other issue, i can still use this information. Thank you for your follow up.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 4:15 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Roman,

To troubleshooting crash issue, typically we need to analyse the crash memory dump that honestly is hard to do online (Here is a blog on How to obtain crash dump in Visual Studio 2005 (also apply to VS2008). The MSDN feedback site refers to http://connect.microsoft.com)

Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log. Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list. This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Roman Rozinov Monday, April 20, 2009 4:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, April 24, 2009 5:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi Roman,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Apologies for not following up right way.  I was able to resolve the issue.  It appears I did have the fix for KB958502.  After applying that fix on VS 2008, i no longer experience crashes when i attempt to open JavaScript files.  If this issue comes back or any other issue, i can still use this information. Thank you for your follow up.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, April 20, 2009 4:15 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Hi Roman,

Thank you for your kindly sharing. Others will benefit. Have a good day!
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:14 AM