none
How to elininiate the UAC message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes ..."

Question

• I'm developing a vb.net program which shells to a program located at C:\Rippers\SmartRipper 2.41\SmartRipper.exe. However, I'm getting "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?"

This application when run from my laptop doesn't get the UAC message.  However, running the same application on my desktop I get the message. Both are running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. This app needs to run without intervention so I can't have it stopping without a way to programmatically keep it going.

I have flagged the exe to run as administrator, doesn't help. Is there a way to disable the UAC message for only this program or do I need to disable UAC (which I don't want to do)?

Do you have a solution? 

Thanks,

Vic

Visual Basic; Access; PHP; SQL Server; MySQL Developer

• Edited by VicSpain Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:45 AM

Answers

• OK I was able to eliminate the message by moving the exe to the bin\release folder of my project.  By doing this it also resolved the issue I was having to programmatically reply to a message that was being issued by the Ripper program.

I still don't understand why it would work on my laptop but fail on my desktop but this resolved the issue so I'm happy.

Maybe someone has an explaination as I am curious about this.

Vic

• Marked as answer by VicSpain Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• If you run SmartRipper outside of the app do you still get the message? If so, then I would suspect it's attempting to write to a resource that is protected by UAC.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Paul,  When I run it on my desktop outside the app I get the message but not on the Laptop!

Vic

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:17 PM
  • OK I was able to eliminate the message by moving the exe to the bin\release folder of my project.  By doing this it also resolved the issue I was having to programmatically reply to a message that was being issued by the Ripper program.

I still don't understand why it would work on my laptop but fail on my desktop but this resolved the issue so I'm happy.

Maybe someone has an explaination as I am curious about this.

Vic

• Marked as answer by VicSpain Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:24 PM
  • There would be one reason I can think of to explain the behavior on your laptop. In the Local Security Policy applet under Administrative Tools in Control Panel, you can change a Security Option under Local Policies (User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators...)  to Elevate without prompting.

Note that you may still encounter the issue upon deployment of the app, which is why your app may require a manifest file.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:33 PM