none
Cannot uninstall messed up Security Update for MS VS 2005 SP1 (KB971090) or MS VS 2008 SP1 (KB971092) to reinstall manually

Question

• I installed these two updates:
    Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 (KB971090)
    Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 (KB971092)

They totally messed up my .exe's that were referencing mfc*90*.dll and msv*90*.dll version 9.0.30729.1 by installing version 9.0.30729.4148.

So, here comes the fun part. I didn't create a restore point before I installed the updates, but before I uninstalled the updates, I created a restore point. I then uninstalled the updates, realized that I really need the updates, so I restored to the restore point.

Now, here is the issue as I understand it: The restore point only restores runtime files like .dlls and such and doesn't restore header files used during compiling. So my system is kind of in a funny state. It has some of the update, but not all of it. I want to uninstall the update through Add/Remove Programs and reinstall it fresh, manually. The issue is that when I try to uninstall it, I get this message:
    "Windows Installer - This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

I also can't install the patch manually because it thinks it's already installed.

How can I uninstall these updates and manually install them again?

Any help will be appreciated.

• Edited by Chuckie D Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:20 PM Added actual question.
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:39 AM Do not follow up
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:46 PM

Answers

• Sorry, YiChun Chen, that I did not get back here to answer your post. I never got the post from Friday. I did find a workaround last week for my issue. The computers I was on were VMs. One of them had a way in System Restore that would allow me to undo the Restore Point. I did that, resetting my system to before the Updates. I then manually installed the two MS VS updates. That fixed my issue on one of the VMs. The other I couldn't figure out, but just copied the good VM and created another one. Thanks for your help!

Chuckie D.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:42 AM

All replies

• OK, no responses, yet...but I think I have found a workaround.

I went to System Restore and undid the restore point the I had restored to. This put me at a messed up state of having uninstalled the two updates, but I'm sure there were some residual files. Anyway, the updates are no longer in Add/Remove Programs, so I am installing them manually. Then build, hope everything is OK. But evertime I hope that, I am disappointed.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:41 PM
  • I told you I would be disappointed. So, I didn't tell you that I have two systems. One I was able to perform the above procedure and it seems to be working. The other I don't have a way to restore to a point where the updates aren't installed, so I am at the above point:
    "I want to uninstall the update through Add/Remove Programs and reinstall it fresh, manually. The issue is that when I try to uninstall it, I get this message:
    "Windows Installer - This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
    I also can't install the patch manually because it thinks it's already installed."

Does anyone know a way to trick the computer into either letting me install manually, or into letting me uninstall? I guess I can try to find the uninstaller on the machine that is working and put it on the machine that is working?

I'm stuck in a hard place.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Chuckie D,

Some clarification:
    What's the OS of "the other"? XP?

Could you please help me to check the install state of the two updats through Windows Update itself?
    Please go to Start Menu >> All Programs >> Windows Update >> Click View installation history in the left panel to see a list of the updates you've downloaded and installed. Many of the entries include a 'Read more' link. Click that and scroll to the bottom of the resulting browser window for uninstall instructions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:24 AM
  • Hi Chuckie D,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Sorry, YiChun Chen, that I did not get back here to answer your post. I never got the post from Friday. I did find a workaround last week for my issue. The computers I was on were VMs. One of them had a way in System Restore that would allow me to undo the Restore Point. I did that, resetting my system to before the Updates. I then manually installed the two MS VS updates. That fixed my issue on one of the VMs. The other I couldn't figure out, but just copied the good VM and created another one. Thanks for your help!

Chuckie D.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Hi Chuckie D,

It's my pleasure. Have a good week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:09 AM