none
VS 2005 / 8 Auto Checkout problem with Crystal 2008

Question

• We upgraded to Crystal 2008 recently and I am quite sure there is a bug in Crystal 2008 - not your problem, but I am trying to work my way slowly up the tech support chain within Business Objects and convince them that it is their problem, but I need some info.

The symptom is that if I open up a project with Crystal Reports in it, Visual Studio starts checking out all the .vb code.  Evidently Crystal 2008 has some 'upgrade' logic that touches the files and then decides no change is needed. 

If I compare the files, there are no changes.  If I do a TFPT uu, it undoes all the changes ... until I open the solution again.

So...

I'm assuming that they are doing something like opening the file for write and that is causing the checkout, but I'm working with a black box.   Happens the same on both VS 2005 and VS2008.  We're using TFS 2005 SP1 and the latest clients on VS2005 and VS2008.

My question:

Will opening a file for write within VS2005 or VS2008 cause a checkout?  Or do you actually have to write to the file to make it do the checkout?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is annoying and of course we've already had a developer undo the changes including some real changes he made.

TIA

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,

project (Crystal Reports project in this case) has to explicitly make call "QueryEditFiles" asking source control provider to prepare file for being edited. TFS provider does NOT need to check state of the file on disk to decide if it should be checked out. Some more implementation details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/benryan/archive/2006/12/22/how-to-make-a-project-compatible-with-vs-source-control-integration.aspx

One question - does crystal reports modify any file at all when you open the solution? I would expect that it must modify project file to indicate that it was already upgraded. Myabe you are undoing this change by accident and that's why the whole process is performed over and over again. I would try:

• open solution
    • let Crystal perform all upgrade
    • Save All
    • Close Visual Studio
    • Run diff or FolderDiff (even better) to check if any file was modified
    • if the project file was modified and opening it in Visual does not trigger upgrade again I would check in all the changes (TFS is undoing all edits automatically, if the content hasn't changed); now verify again that upgrade does not happen

Hope this helps

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

project (Crystal Reports project in this case) has to explicitly make call "QueryEditFiles" asking source control provider to prepare file for being edited. TFS provider does NOT need to check state of the file on disk to decide if it should be checked out. Some more implementation details:

http://blogs.msdn.com/benryan/archive/2006/12/22/how-to-make-a-project-compatible-with-vs-source-control-integration.aspx

One question - does crystal reports modify any file at all when you open the solution? I would expect that it must modify project file to indicate that it was already upgraded. Myabe you are undoing this change by accident and that's why the whole process is performed over and over again. I would try:

• open solution
    • let Crystal perform all upgrade
    • Save All
    • Close Visual Studio
    • Run diff or FolderDiff (even better) to check if any file was modified
    • if the project file was modified and opening it in Visual does not trigger upgrade again I would check in all the changes (TFS is undoing all edits automatically, if the content hasn't changed); now verify again that upgrade does not happen

Hope this helps

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for the info - will pass this on to Business Objects.

In response to your questions:

I already tried checking in the whole solution, and was hoping it was something like that.

I tried doing things as you suggest, both checking in everything and also trying a TFPT uu - it undid 48 of the changes, leaving 3 files "changed".  (None of these files are open in Visual Studio). 

I then tried checking in those 3 files, and get the message "All of the changes were either unmodified files or locks.  The changes have been undone by the server."

I can repeat that cycle (same 3 files) multiple times.

Pretty curious...

Business Objects support told me that they had a similar problem with Visual Source Safe and the update to SP1 'fixed' the problem.

More to come I'm sure.  I'll post an update if any progress gets made. 

Thanks again!!

Friday, April 04, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Business Objects has now reproduced the problem in their environment, so should be a part of the next service pack in June hopefully.

Monday, April 07, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

We have the same problem - just upgraded to Crystal Reports 2008 + Visual Studio 2008 and decided to use sourcesafe 2005 as we now have 2 developers (1 just joined) - and bingo - exactly the same problem - opens and checks out all the Crystal Reps.

I await June with anticipation for a fix!!

Tez

Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Has anyone see the fix for this problem yet? I check to see if Business Objects has a Service Pack yet, but I didn't see one.

Thanks,
    Don
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:41 PM