none
Upgrade TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 Update 3

Question

• Hi all,

When requesting a product key for TFS 2012 with Update 3, my MSDN Ultimate subscription gives me the error-message "Your subscription does not have access to product keys for this product.". For TFS 2012 with Update 1, I don't even need a key. Is the error-message incorrect? Can I just download and install TFS 2012 with Update 3, without the need for a product key, like with the TFS 2012 Update 1?

As an alternative, I can install TFS 2012 with Update 1 and apply update 3. But what is the best approach here: should I apply the update before running the upgrade wizard? Or should I apply it after completing the upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Jeroen

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:23 AM

Answers

• The error message in MSDN is actually right. I did the upgrade last night, with success.

But directly installing TFS 2012 with Update 3 didn't work, The product key is not included in the download, so I had to put it in manually; and as I mentioned, MSDN won't give it to me.

So I installed TFS 2012 with Update 1 first, which has the product key included. And then did the upgrade to TFS 2012 Update 3; without problems.

So, I'm happy :-). But it's weird. I will contact the license-people about this.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeroen, 

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know there’s no the “Update 3” for TFS 2012 Update 1, you need upgrade from TFS 2012 Update 1 to TFS 2012 Update 3.

For that license issue, please contact http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx directly for the better response, where specialized experts live in.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi Jeroen,  

If misunderstood anything, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 19, 2013 10:07 AM
  • When requesting a product key for TFS 2012 with Update 3, my MSDN Ultimate subscription gives me the error-message "Your subscription does not have access to product keys for this product.". For TFS 2012 with Update 1, I don't even need a key. Is the error-message incorrect? Can I just download and install TFS 2012 with Update 3, without the need for a product key, like with the TFS 2012 Update 1?

if you download the ISO image for Team Foundation Server 2012 with Update 3 from MSDN Subscription download page you don't need a PID as it is already included in the setup but if you download the image from the trial site than you'll be asked for a key.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Friday, July 19, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Thanks, I thought as much. Does that mean that the error-message is wrong? It's not that I don't have access to the key, but I just don't need it.
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your reply.

For this license issue, please contact http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx directly for the better response, where specialized experts live in.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:43 AM
  • The error message in MSDN is actually right. I did the upgrade last night, with success.

But directly installing TFS 2012 with Update 3 didn't work, The product key is not included in the download, so I had to put it in manually; and as I mentioned, MSDN won't give it to me.

So I installed TFS 2012 with Update 1 first, which has the product key included. And then did the upgrade to TFS 2012 Update 3; without problems.

So, I'm happy :-). But it's weird. I will contact the license-people about this.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:28 AM