none
Fatal error in Visual Studio SP1 installer (running dotnetfx35.exe?)

    Question

  • My dev machine is on a air-gapped network, so I wasn't able to use the "Report this to Microsoft" tool to report the error.  That's why I'm reporting it here....  It looks like the problem is in the .NET FX installer, I'm going to try to run that by itself next.

    Here's the tail of the main log file:

    [8/11/2008, 15:59:59]
    (IronSpigot::CompositePerformerBaseT<class IronSpigot::MsiInstaller,struct IronSpigot::MspInstaller,struct IronSpigot::MultipleMspInstaller,class IronSpigot::ExeSelectingPerformer<class IronSpigot::ExeInstaller,class IronSpigot::CartmanExeInstaller> >::PerformAction) Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    [8/11/2008, 15:59:59] (IronSpigot::CartmanExeInstallerBase::PreCreateProcess) In PreCreateProcess
    [8/11/2008, 15:59:59] (IronSpigot::CartmanExeInstallerBase::PreCreateProcess) m_pSetupWatcher->Connect succeeded
    [8/11/2008, 15:59:59] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::Launch) Launching CreateProcess with command line = dotnetfx35.exe /q /norestart /lang:ENU /progress CartmanSetupExeWatcher363815064
    [8/11/2008, 15:59:59] (IronSpigot::CartmanExeInstallerBase::PostCreateProcess) PostCreateProcess succeeded
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Exe log file(s) :
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) C:\DOCUME~1\BRIAN_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_dotnetfx35error.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) C:\DOCUME~1\BRIAN_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) C:\DOCUME~1\BRIAN_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework20_Setup285E.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) C:\DOCUME~1\BRIAN_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_depcheck_NETFX_EXP_35.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Exe (\\devbox\Shared Applications\Visual Studio\Visual Studio 2008 SP1\vs90sp1\dotnetfx35.exe) failed with 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. .
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Log File: dd_dotnetfx35error.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Log File: dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Log File: dd_NET_Framework20_Setup285E.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) Log File: dd_depcheck_NETFX_EXP_35.txt
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::ExeInstallerBase::PerformAction) PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] Action complete
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] (IronSpigot::LogUtils::LogFinalResult) Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), Fatal error during installation.
    [8/11/2008, 16:4:17] Action complete



    Here's dd_dotnetfx35error.txt:



    [04/21/08,14:48:21] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Failed to fetch setup file in CBaseComponent::PreInstall()
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467260.
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallPhase() - Call to Pre/Install/Post for InstallComponents failed
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallPhaseAndCheckResults() - RunInstallPhase() returned a NULL piActionResults
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::RunInstallFromList() - RunInstallPhaseAndCheckResults failed [2]
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] ISetupManager::RunInstallLists(IP_PREINSTALL failed in ISetupManager::RunInstallFromThread()
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] ISetupManager::RunInstallFromThread() failed in ISetupManager::RunInstall()
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] setup.exe: [2] CSetupManager::Run() - Call to RunInstall() failed
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates XPSEPSC Installer was not attempted to be installed.
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a was not attempted to be installed.
    [04/21/08,14:48:21] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' was not attempted to be installed.
    [04/21/08,16:12:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [04/21/08,16:12:16] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [04/21/08,16:21:16] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    [04/21/08,16:21:22] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
    [08/11/08,16:04:08] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:45 PM

Answers

  • I ended up uninstalling all the .NET I had in Add/Remove programs.  Some of the uninstallers gave me errors, so to be safe I also ran the .NET remover tool here:  http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx  I then ran the .NET 3.5 SP1 installer on its own, and after that succeeded, I ran the VS 2008 SP1 installer.  Both of those went smoothly.  I think I had a broken .NET install sometime before, I sort of remember having problems with it when I installed VS 2008 a few months ago.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:12 AM