none
Will I be able to install Visual Studio on Microsoft Surface RT?

Question

• I am planning to buy a Microsoft Surface device and I cannot decide which would I buy. I'm still a student, though I script C# in Visual C# Express 2008, 2010 and the Visual Studio 2012 RC version during most of the day and nothing seemed more legit than buying a Microsoft tablet, to have both a laptop and a gadget (tablet) at the same time. 

I cannot decide which Surface to buy, RT or PRO. The Pro costs way more and will come out monthes later and I really want to get started. The only thing that confuses me is - Will I be able to develop applications normally on Surface RT? And will I be able to develop and debug regular programs on the Surface RT, kind of programs (applications) that can run on other devices like a computer.

Thanks in regards, Kfir.

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:27 PM

Answers

• Taking in consideration all the information available there is not any version of VS compiled for ARM yet. In another hand, I believe that you will need a device with a little bit of more resources so the PRO version is your only option.

Ctitanic ultramobilepc-tips.com

Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Taking in consideration all the information available there is not any version of VS compiled for ARM yet. In another hand, I believe that you will need a device with a little bit of more resources so the PRO version is your only option.

Ctitanic ultramobilepc-tips.com

Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:52 PM
  • You need the Pro model (Full Windows 8, not Windows RT) to run Visual Studio...
    Monday, September 24, 2012 9:47 AM
  • I can't imagine doing any serious development work on a 10" screen.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 12:51 PM
  • The Surface Pro will have micro-HDMI out - so it can be connected to any display :).

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I think Surface RT will cost $300 for 32GB and $400 for 64GB. I think the pro will cost $600 for 64GB and $800 for 128GB. I hope there will be a visual studio 2012 rt
    • Edited by kpal12 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Don't buy an RT.  It is the worst buy ever, although it is the best tablet on

the market, RT is crap you can only load Microsoft sponsored App's of

which only Office is any good.  you can't put any real Photo editing software on,

You can't run any website requiring Silverlight, you can't load Silverlight on RT.

If you want to use Bing Maps on your tablet away from WiFi connection you can't,

You can't download maps even though you have plenty of storage space.  Streets and trips

won't run. Devices like a Microsoft GPS module, no driver won't work, so if you would like to use an RT for any real work besides office documents forget it. Your Windows Phone

7.5 can't can't talk to your RT, Zune won't load. 

So, at least wait to get a Surface Pro, at least it should run Windows programs that you are used to using.  Although I am sure Microsoft didn't intend for it to, RT to me means Real Trash.

• Proposed as answer by Ghost_Star1 Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:18 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:31 AM
  • It is true that you don't have apps like android and apple, but no one uses 99% of the apps in those stores. I have windows rt for personal computing and have been very pleased.  Its been a good tablet for entertainment, use it for online class (only tablet for this). I don't usually post comments, but I felt compelled to stick for MS on this one
    Saturday, July 05, 2014 3:54 PM