none
What is .csproj file?

Question

• Today, I just found out that a file called ".csproj" automatically created in my C# project

Anyone knows what it is?  If I don't want it, how may I remove it?

thx ~

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi iHandler,

Thank you for your post.

".csproj" is a Visual Studio .NET C# Project file extension. This file will have information about the files included in that project, assemblies used in that project, project GUID and project version etc. This file is related to your project. It will be automatically generated when we create

".sln" is a structure for organizing projects in Visual Studio. It contains the state information for projects in .sln (text-based, shared) and .suo (binary, user-specific solution options) files. We can add multiple projects inside one solution.

Hope it helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:17 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by iHandler Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:27 AM
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:17 AM

All replies

• CSPROJ files are used by Visual Studio to store references to items within a project and to store compilation options.

Leave it be....
    John Grove - TFD Group, Senior Software Engineer, EI Division, http://www.tfdg.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Weier Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:03 AM
  • The CSPROJ file, saved in XML format, stores all the references for your project including your compilation options. There is also a SLN file which stores information about projects that make up your solution.

hope this helps....

Narayanan Dayalan - Zeetaa Business Solutions ------- Please "Mark As Answer", if my answer works well with ur Query
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:03 AM
  • This is project file of your project.

This enables you to open a project containg files in your project.

Like vb 6.0 have vbp file which is a project file.
    To add "Known as C# (pronounced C Sharp) Project files, these .CSPROJ files are used by Microsoft's Visual Studio to store references to items within a project and to store compilation options. These project files use the Extensible Markup language (XML) format. "
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:05 AM
  • thanks all of you. 

I have been working on my C# project for several months, just found this file .CSPROJ yesterday (I realized it's writeen in XML format and this file didn't show up before).

I just want to know the reason why it showed up yesterday in my project.

Would you mind explain this point? 

(....so happy to get support from you guys)
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:22 AM
  • What IDE are you using?

In case you use Visual studio, The File -> New Project option pop up a Dialog in which you specify Project Name.
    The label is Name rather tahn project Name.
    Apart from this this dialog provides information of Location, Solution Name.

Hope it helps

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:34 AM
  • What IDE are you using?

In case you use Visual studio, The File -> New Project option pop up a Dialog in which you specify Project Name.
    The label is Name rather tahn project Name.
    Apart from this this dialog provides information of Location, Solution Name.

Hope it helps

Thanks Agalo, I am using VS2005 IDE,

btw, do you mean if I do that (the things you mentioned above), I'll have the .CSPROJ file?   I remember yesterday I have created a new SETUP project for deployment purpose.  Is that the reason I got .CSPROJ file?

Also, if I don't like this file, how can I remove it? is it possible?
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:53 AM
  • If you look at Left side TreeView containing Project Types in New Project Dialog, The SetUp and Deployment comes under Other Project Type Node. If you create a SetUp and Deployment project it will create a ".vdproj" File which is basically a Visual Studio Deployment Project file.

A project provides a workspace to organize your file.

.csproj file will be created only if you create a CSharp Project.

Why you want to remove the project file. If you delete the project file then how do you open it later ?
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:04 AM
  • I see, thanks anyway,

(my suggestion for VS team is: I hope they would consider to use ONE file (either SLN or CSPROJ) to organize all VS files.  The reason is: I can't get used to click on the "correct" file (should need to click on SLN instead of CSPROJ) to do my development, daily.  Also, these two icons (SLN and CSPROJ) look very similar and hard to "determine" it, imaging for 10 hours programming daily.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:11 AM
  • You are still confused.

Solution file consists of numerous projects.
    It is a workspace that contains a group of one or more projects that are organized in Visual Studio.
    A solution file may contain projects of different types and different languages.
    A solution file  Organizes projects, project items and solution items into the solution by providing the environment with references to their locations on disk.

Read : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xhkhh4zs(VS.71).aspx
    http://www.ucertify.com/article/what-is-a-solution-in-visual-studio-net.html
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b142f8e7(VS.71).aspx
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Hi iHandler,

Thank you for your post.

".csproj" is a Visual Studio .NET C# Project file extension. This file will have information about the files included in that project, assemblies used in that project, project GUID and project version etc. This file is related to your project. It will be automatically generated when we create

".sln" is a structure for organizing projects in Visual Studio. It contains the state information for projects in .sln (text-based, shared) and .suo (binary, user-specific solution options) files. We can add multiple projects inside one solution.

Hope it helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:17 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by iHandler Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:27 AM
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:17 AM