none
security vbscript

Question

• Are there any directories that no user can access on Vista home premium even the builtin administrator using vbscript.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:30 AM

Answers

• that is not your problem.

your problem is vistas security wont allow the program to access those directories as a security risk, and this security risk blocker will always go off whether you are logged on as administrator or not.

Sometimes in the properties window there is an unblock button to allow it to run with full capabilities without getting blocked.

Sometimes running it as an administrator even if logged into one might also help.

You should be able to find how to run it as a certain user if the password is correct.

Also, it might be in fact that you gotta go to the windows firewall and allow it through by adding the program manually, sometimes that lets security risks things be allowed on the internet side of it, which sometimes does a little things about secutrity on the other aspects of this program, which might also help.

If none of this works, you might try and restore your computer (if possible) or to try it on another non-vista computer because vistas security alone might always be blocking it as a security risk.

I am sorry if that last thing is the case and wish you luck with your problem.

Although many others may have done so, added security may be the problem and such, and just hope you find the way that you can fix your problem.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:39 AM

All replies

• Im not sure what you are trying to do here, but you can make a program be encrypted and stuff, and have its own file type and stuff, sending it to a folder you made that is invisible.

The program could then decrypt it if needed.

The program could ask for a password when you run it.

Of course, then your code would also be at risk for that program so ud have to encrypt it as well so it can't be changed.

But, if your looking for deletion security with vbscript, and to make it so that it can't also be deleted, i can't help you there.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Actually I was trying to find out if there are any folders or file on the standard release of Vista Home Premium that can not be accessed by any user or the builtin administrator account. 

I've tried to ask about a problem with the vbscript function object.getfolder getting a permission denied when the vbscript is run using the builtin administrator account.  I thought that the builtin administrator account had access to everything on the system.

The following code gets the permission error when trying to set n = f.Size.  If you comment out that statement you don't get the error.  The c:\windows and c:\users folders also get the same error.

All i was trying to do is display a list of folders with the disk space that they occupy.

I noticed that if you move the mouse cursor over a folder name in windows explorer tht it will disdplay the disk space occupied by the folder.  But if you move the mouse cursor over the c:\windows folder it displays larger than 437 MB.

The c:\windows folder takes up more disk space than that.  Then system32 direwctory is over 2GB.

Int n
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim fs, f
      Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
      Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Set f = fs.GetFolder("c:\windows\system32")
      n = f.Size
      If Err.Number <> 0 Then
          MsgBox Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description & " folder: " & f.name
          Err.Clear
      End If
      str = UCase(f.Name) & " uses " & n & " bytes."
    wscript.Echo str

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  

All of them can be accessed, but it is probably blocking the program having access as some sort of security risk, which it usually is.

There might be a way to do this, but i dont really know it.

Sometimes there is an unblock option in the program properties, and sometimes you have to click a * Run As * button and declick some checkbox to prevent w/e for security.

No matter what, it would need to be run this way every time unless its the unblock button most likely.

Sometimes it is also as simple as navigating to the folder on vista and clicking the show files button which makes it hidden at first, but once you do it they arent anymore.

That might also be the problem, but most likely it is not.

EDIT:Also, it might not like the hidden folders in vista, but im not sure thats it either.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I take it that you haven't tried to run this script? I've tried using run as.  I've tried running the script while logged in as the builtin administrator.  If the builtin administrator does not have permission to do the function then who on the computer would have permission?  Nothing seems to get around the problem.  I find it hard to beleive that I could come up with a question that no one seems to be able to answer.

I've posted this question on several different forums and no answer yet.  Most replies say that I need to have administrator priveleges.  Dosent the builtin administrator have administrator priveleges?  If not then what account does have administrator priveleges?

I can see why people don't want to run Vista.  I've never had this much problems with any windows release previously.

If I knew thast I could run all of the hardware on my laptop on XP Pro I would go back in a heartbeat.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 3:43 PM
  • that is not your problem.

your problem is vistas security wont allow the program to access those directories as a security risk, and this security risk blocker will always go off whether you are logged on as administrator or not.

Sometimes in the properties window there is an unblock button to allow it to run with full capabilities without getting blocked.

Sometimes running it as an administrator even if logged into one might also help.

You should be able to find how to run it as a certain user if the password is correct.

Also, it might be in fact that you gotta go to the windows firewall and allow it through by adding the program manually, sometimes that lets security risks things be allowed on the internet side of it, which sometimes does a little things about secutrity on the other aspects of this program, which might also help.

If none of this works, you might try and restore your computer (if possible) or to try it on another non-vista computer because vistas security alone might always be blocking it as a security risk.

I am sorry if that last thing is the case and wish you luck with your problem.

Although many others may have done so, added security may be the problem and such, and just hope you find the way that you can fix your problem.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:39 AM