none
application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect

Question

• Hi,

I have seen a similar post under C++ but after reading that post and many others I have been unable to find a solution for VB VS2008.

I have just ported one solution with seven projects  from VS2005 to VS2008. All seemed fine at compile time but when I attempted to step into the code in the debugger I received the following error:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start program ..... ABC.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. for more details, please see the application event log.

I have used Dependency Walker which yields the following error:

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\development\source\bin\ABC.EXE" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

I believe the problem is related to:
    The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\development\source\bin\ABC.EXE" contains errors.

Code Snippet

<?>xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

<security>

<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<!-- UAC Manifest Options

If you want to change the Windows User Account Control level replace the

requestedExecutionLevel node with one of the following.

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />

<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />

<requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false" />

If you want to utilize File and Registry Virtualization for backward

compatibility then delete the requestedExecutionLevel node.

-->

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

</asmv1:assembly

I was able to debug this solution with no issues in VS2003. I switched to VS2005 but after the hot fix to fix the IDE crashing and SP1 I still had problems so I migrated to VS2008 which initially appears to be more stable.

I have deleted the devenv.exe.manifest file under VS2005 as mentioned in related posts but the problem persists.

I have another solution with seven projects which ported and executes without any problems. I believe it is related to VS2005 corruption which was carried over into VS2008.

Any help would be appreciated.

XP Pro SP2, VS2008 VB.NET Target Framework 2.0

Thanks

Al

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

•  Hi,

I am facing a sililar problem which migrating the project from VB2005 to VB2008.

Were you ale to fix it? If yes, please let me know how?

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:36 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:41 PM
  •  Hi,

I am having the same problem. Pls post the fix if you find out.

Thanks !
    • Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:41 PM
  • I reviewed my app.config and changed:

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

Edit: I take it that <?>xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> is a typo? It should be <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> (without the >)
    • Proposed as answer by mloeffen Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:37 PM
    • Edited by mloeffen Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:36 PM
  • well for me the Dependency walker gave the following:

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "d:\4_prj\_.net eschool\appy\_model\developer_tools2\developer_tools2\bin\debug\DEVELOPER_TOOLS2.EXE" contains errors. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail (14001).
    Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
    Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
    Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

First change:
        Project properties\ Compile\ Advanced Compile Options...\
            Target CPU: from Any CPU to x86
            Target framework(All configurations) from 4.0 to 3.5

it restarted the IDE.
    Second change:
        i returned the two options to their original values

it restarted the IDE.
        and vola, it worked again.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:39 AM
    Monday, December 06, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Thanks mloeffen..."Edit: I take it that <?>xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> is a typo? It should be <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> (without the >)" worked for me
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:27 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

Edit: I take it that <?>xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> is a typo? It should be <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> (without the >)

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:34 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

I have seen a similar post under C++ but after reading that post and many others I have been unable to find a solution for VB VS2008.

I have just ported one solution with seven projects  from VS2005 to VS2008. All seemed fine at compile time but when I attempted to step into the code in the debugger I received the following error:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. for more details, please see the application event log.

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\development\source\bin\ABC.EXE" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\development\source\bin\ABC.EXE" contains errors.

I was able to debug this solution with no issues in VS2003. I switched to VS2005 but after the hot fix to fix the IDE crashing and SP1 I still had problems so I migrated to VS2008 which initially appears to be more stable.

I have deleted the devenv.exe.manifest file under VS2005 as mentioned in related posts but the problem persists.

I have another solution with seven projects which ported and executes without any problems. I believe it is related to VS2005 corruption which was carried over into VS2008.

Thanks

Al

Code Snippet

<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<security>

-->

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:37 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks

Al

Code Snippet

<security>

-->

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:37 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks

Al

Code Snippet

<security>

-->

</requestedPrivileges>

</security>

</trustInfo>

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:38 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:39 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:40 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:40 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:41 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:41 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:41 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:41 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:42 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:42 AM

to <configuration>

That fixed it for me.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by bojidarbogoev Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:42 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:42 AM
  • None of the solutions that were presented here in this thread (top to bottom) actually worked for me.  So... I renamed the folder that my project was in and then created a new project with the same original name with only Form1.vb as the default form.  Then I went into the renamed folder and copied from it all the vb and .resx files (and any others that I needed, but not any files from the bin, My Project, or obj folders and I did not copy any project or solution files). After that I reopened the project (with the original name in the new folder just created) with all the copied in files and then just started to "Add existing item" I highlighted all the ones I wanted.  Then I recompiled fixed any error and bingo it worked.  Problem solved. 
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:06 PM