none
Help Installing .NET Framework 4

Answers

• Hi McSottsmen,

You have the following error as far as I know:

“Error 25003. Error occurred while initializing fusion”

"Error 0x80070424: Failed to open the current cluster"

You can try this step to fix the error 0x80070424 first .

Please extract dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe using any archive utility (such as WinZip); After extracting, you need to run the extracted "setup.exe" program with the "/x86" flag

(e.g, via Command Line, assuming the extracted 'Setup.exe' is in your "C" drive:

c:\> Setup.exe /x86)

If you have updated your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi McScottsmen,

Could you please check your link?

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:02 AM
  • I suspect the problem with your vslogs.cab is that you did not share it.

Right click on your vslogs.cab than select share. In the dialog, select Get a link, then select Public and copy the link provided here.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Sorry never used SkyDrive before. See if this will work.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BAE42B86D604F7F8!105

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Yes, your vslogs is now available.

Looking in your install log, I see:

"Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    [8/15/2012, 0:37:57]PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 2359302 (translates to HRESULT = 0x240006)"

which could be caused by a cluttered temp directory, among other things.

I suggest you try the steps below:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:36 PM
  •    Ok, I followed all the steps to the T, but to no avail, the framework still did not install. :) So im going to supply you with a fresh copy of the error log. Also I noticed that my registry folder of my .NET framework seemed to be missing some folders. So I need to know if I am missing a folder that you can see.

Link to Log: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BAE42B86D604F7F8!105

Link to Registry: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BAE42B86D604F7F8!106

Thanks for your time!

• Edited by McScottsmen Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:11 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Looking in your vslogs.cab, the newest .NET Framework 4.0 install log I can find is dated 8/4/2012.

I also found several earlier logs which should have been deleted by step 2 of my instructions. As I have no new log, I'll have to ask you to repeat the steps.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:36 AM
  •    I repeated step two, here is proof: HERE Tried to install the framework, failed of course, then ran collect.exe, proof is here: HERE And finally, here are your logs: HERE

Thanks!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Hi McScottsmen,

Your error detail was like the following:

"Error 25003. Error occurred while initializing fusion"

From this blog we can see "Error 25003 means that setup is having trouble loading a specific function inside of the DLL named fusion.dll".

Could you please try the following tool to fix? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2698555

Additionally, have you met any error when execute the command?

"for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:27 AM
  • I apologize if I offended you by asking you to repeat the process, but this time your vslogs does contain the .NET 4.0 install log. Thank you for resubmitting.

As Barry has already told you, the core issue is:

" INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Error occurred while initializing fusion. ]
    [8/15/2012, 23:10:50]MSI (C:\b945c6cf59755b712e64\netfx_Core_x86.msi) Installation failed.  Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120815_231001569-MSI_netfx_Core_x86.msi.txt
    [8/15/2012, 23:10:50]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)"

I suggest you follow Barry's suggestions to solve your issue.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Barry,

OK, I deleted my %temp%, then ran your tool and the tool ran fine without errors. Then it told me to try to install my Framework 4, and unfortunately the framework did not install. :( And to answer your second question, no i never encountered an error when i ran that command line. Also, before I started this thread, I followed the persons advice who first posted about the assembly issues and I renamed the assembly folder inside the Microsoft .NET folder , and eventually I deleted it. He said that you CAN delete it if you want and it will only help the installation process. So did i screw up by deleting it? And if so would one of you fine troubleshooters provide me with a new one?

And here is the newest log that i collected after I ran Barry's tool: HERE

Thank you both for your support!

• Edited by McScottsmen Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:15 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi McSottsmen,

You have the following error as far as I know:

“Error 25003. Error occurred while initializing fusion”

"Error 0x80070424: Failed to open the current cluster"

You can try this step to fix the error 0x80070424 first .

Please extract dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe using any archive utility (such as WinZip); After extracting, you need to run the extracted "setup.exe" program with the "/x86" flag

(e.g, via Command Line, assuming the extracted 'Setup.exe' is in your "C" drive:

c:\> Setup.exe /x86)

If you have updated your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:50 AM