none
Cannot run Visual Studio 11 binaries on Windows XP

Question

• I've built a very simple console app using Visual Studio 11 Dev Preview.

The resulting binary doesn't run on Windows XP, even if built with _WIN32_WINNT set to 0x0501.

It seems the MSVCR110.DLL depends on KERNEL32.DLL exports that don't exist on Windows XP, such as CompareStringEx(), EnumSystemLocalesEx(), or GetTickCount64().

Is Windows XP a supported VS11 target (in which case the problem I see is just temporary for the dev preview) or not (in which case the documentation / release notes [checked out http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/B/E/6BE45868-51B8-405D-B9ED-718E5CA06F08/VS11DevPreviewReadme_ENU.htm] ought to mention that)?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• Additional question: will the final VS11 support running (the toolset) on Windows XP?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I've built a very simple console app using Visual Studio 11 Dev Preview.
    The resulting binary doesn't run on Windows XP, even if built with _WIN32_WINNT set to 0x0501.

You might want to add your vote/voice here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/690617/bug-apps-created-with-crt-and-mfc-vnext-11-cannot-be-used-on-windows-xp-sp3

Dave

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Done!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I know that this is going to be frustrating to many people.  However, I can see the other side of things too:  Windows 8 (and presumably VS vNext) are likely going to be released at the end of 2012.  XP extended support ends in 2014 -- at which point anyone who cares at all about security upgrades will have to upgrade their OS.  So there is really only an 18 month or so gap where XP is alive but not supported by the latest version of Visual Studio.  That doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, considering that XP will be 11 years old at that point.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:00 PM
  • That's one way of looking at things.

But we are making embedded printer controllers running Windows XP Embedded or Windows Embedded Standard 2009, both based on Windows XP Pro binaries, and WES2009 will get security updates until Jan 8, 2019, and we are allowed to ship it IIRC until 2024...

Sure, we'll move to the Win7-based Windows Embedded Standard 7, but this will take some time and not all devices in our installed base will support that OS.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hello,

This Visual Studio version is preview version, it will be different from the release version.

You can also send feedback on here:

Visual Studio UserVoice site

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:41 AM
  • No, it's still the same in the consumer preview.  You can work around it for statically linked VC11 apps by using the instructions here.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:01 AM
  • Steve Teixeira, a Microsoft Visual C++ team product manager, said on May 4th that they are trying to support XP in VS11. It won't be available in VS11 RTM, but maybe in a patch. http://www.blogmfc.com/n2012/05/04/will-visual-c-support-windows-xp/
    Friday, May 04, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Steve Teixeira, a Microsoft Visual C++ team product manager, said on May 4th that they are trying to support XP in VS11. It won't be available in VS11 RTM, but maybe in a patch. http://www.blogmfc.com/n2012/05/04/will-visual-c-support-windows-xp/

Interesting, yes, I read the most recent comments by Steve on both your blog and Martin's blog, I guess the official stance is that it's the same as before, which is that they're looking at it and will come out with more info on whether they'll support it in the coming weeks.
    Saturday, May 05, 2012 12:56 PM