Visual Studio 2010 intellisence problem

Question

• Intellisence in 2010 is pretty, but the cool new way of displaying the list of parameters acutally prevents it from listing all the paramters of a function if there are more than a few parameters..

THis is kind of like being forced to code in notpad.!

Based on this - without a fix or a solution I am going to stop using 2010 and go back to 2008

THIS IS A MAJOR BUG! - what are the developers thinking! offer alternatives. Kind of makes the product useless for serious development.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob - It sounds like you mean the tooltips that pop up to offer information about your method and parameters rather than the statement completion part of IntelliSense; please correct if I'm misunderstanding.  You're right that the VS 2010 tooltip will truncate after fewer parameters than VS 2008, but the limit is still ~30 or so.  We know that this will affect a number of developers, but we don't think it's as severe as you describe ("more than a few parameters"); again, please correct if I'm wrong.  We've already fixed this so that more parameters can be displayed in the tooltip before it truncates, and we will strongly consider this fix for VS 2010 SP1.

For now, there are a couple of workarounds that might help:

1. Use Quick Info (the tooltip that's shown when you hover your mouse over a method).  This will display more than one parameter per line and therefore be able to display more parameters without truncating.
    2. Set a smaller font or font size for tooltips.  This can be changed by going to Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors, choosing "Editor Tooltip" in the dropdown at the top, and setting a different font and/or size.

Hope this helps,

Brittany Behrens | Program Manager | Visual Studio Platform - Editor | The Visual Studio Blog | @VSEditor on Twitter

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob - It sounds like you mean the tooltips that pop up to offer information about your method and parameters rather than the statement completion part of IntelliSense; please correct if I'm misunderstanding.  You're right that the VS 2010 tooltip will truncate after fewer parameters than VS 2008, but the limit is still ~30 or so.  We know that this will affect a number of developers, but we don't think it's as severe as you describe ("more than a few parameters"); again, please correct if I'm wrong.  We've already fixed this so that more parameters can be displayed in the tooltip before it truncates, and we will strongly consider this fix for VS 2010 SP1.

For now, there are a couple of workarounds that might help:

1. Use Quick Info (the tooltip that's shown when you hover your mouse over a method).  This will display more than one parameter per line and therefore be able to display more parameters without truncating.
    2. Set a smaller font or font size for tooltips.  This can be changed by going to Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors, choosing "Editor Tooltip" in the dropdown at the top, and setting a different font and/or size.

Hope this helps,

Brittany Behrens | Program Manager | Visual Studio Platform - Editor | The Visual Studio Blog | @VSEditor on Twitter

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:39 AM
  • We've already fixed this so that more parameters can be displayed in the tooltip before it truncates, and we will strongly consider this fix for VS 2010 SP1.

Is there hotfix link for that?

Please "Mark as Answer" if this post answers your question.
    Ferry Meidianto My Blog
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:20 AM
  • No, there is not currently a hotfix available for this.  But as mentioned above, we'll consider it for SP1, and there are a couple of workarounds (we know they're not ideal, but they should help) for now.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:36 AM
  • OK. Thanks for the clarification Brittany.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I tried the change point size.. OK so I got 31 parameters, but really couldn't read them. (6pt size is way to small to read.) - therefore I unmarked your post as a soultion - it just isn't. (for this project there are two key methods that have over 30 paramters. it might be the first in a few years to have that, but it probably won't be the last.)

This really isn't a product I would recomend if you need to change out of it to see methods that expose more than 20 or so parametes (45 actually - and vs2008 has no issue at all with that). IT is these methods that really NEED intellisence.  Bringing up 2 code windows in a split window situation doens't cut the mustard.

VISUAL STUDIO 2008 is 200% better of this type of situation! I will happily ignore the "benifits" if dotnet 4.0 and VS2010 untill a better solution is achieved. This is a MAJOR slap on the hands for the developers of this product. SEXY doesn't mean BETTER!

Hopefully VS2012 will be better. (a sugestion to the next service pack - assuming there is one - if there are more than 10 parameters, change the intellicence to the old way of doing it, where you prompt for the parameter as you get to it. It works MUCH better) - Untill this is fixed, I will probably stay with 2008. (not really happliy - it is a heavy layout of cash for a lacking product)

Rob

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I'm sorry the workarounds weren't helpful for you.  As mentioned above, we've already checked in a fix for this and will strongly consider it for VS 2010 SP1.

I marked my previous reply as an answer because it gives all of the information we have about this bug until SP1 planning is further along.  On these forums, "Answer" unfortunately does not always mean "Ideal Solution".  Again, I'm sorry the options at present are inadequate for your solution, but I am re-marking an answer in case the information is helpful to others who may read this thread.

Thanks again,

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Brittany,

I will accept that your "Mark As Answer" rational is valid. I still don't see the "Work Around" as being a work around as it didn't fix or change anything.

The only real thing I can accept is that this is a BUG. (time to get out the raid!) - at this point the infestation is enough to kill the product in my mind. (I know this was identified when it was in BETA - i have seen threads on it!)

.. how did somehting like this get released??

Rob

Next time I will download a demo before laying out the cash or authorizing the purchase.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:23 PM
  • This bug is a deal killer for me as well.  I resently upgraded to VS 2010 and ran into this, and it IS a big problem.   Our applications use methods for inserting and updating large databases (many columns).  In VS 2010 once I get past the first 30 or so parameters I am completely blind,  there is no way for me to tell which parameter I am currently entering/editing.  These methods are used so frequently that I can not do my job with 2010.   I have been waiting for SP1 for ages to fix this problem so I could return to 2010... but this was NOT included as Brittany suggested it might.  Back to 2008.   Very depressing...
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I'm still seeing this behaviour after SP1. Are there any other ideas or workarounds for this?

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:09 PM