none
Conversion from using .hlp to using .chm

General discussion

• Hi :-)

Fairly simple question. I am upgrading some rather old software. I have converted some old help (.hlp) files to the more modern and common .chm format. This is no problem.

However i have problems calling and displaying the new files from the application GUI. Yes this is a WinApp application. What are the steps i have to follow to make this work? The things i have tried so far either led to the old.hlp file being displayed or nothing being displayed. Is ShellExecure a good way to go ?? If i include the WinHelp file with the application, would the old .hlp files still work in Vista?? I have read that vista does not support old .hlp files (i am still using xinxp pro here at work).

Sorry, but i am quite new to c++. I used to code delphi and then java. Later the program code will be updated to VS2005 (or higher), but that's another story.

Per
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:45 AM

All replies

• You want to show a CHM file by using the HTMLHelp windows API. 
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:59 AM
  • I have looked at that before, without trying to implement it. Do i really have to include all of the htmlhelp stuff into the c++ header (include htmlhelp.h etc) There MUST be an easier way, right ? (shellexecute) Yes i know that would not enable going to specific topics within help file, but this is not needed for now anyway.

Per
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:07 PM
  • If you want to make a success of this project, you'll have to get over you aversion to calling an API function sooner or later.  Using HtmlHelp() could be your opportunity for "sooner".
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 12:58 AM