none
Add solution to TFS, then remove it... cannot add again

Question

• Hi,

This is driving me crazy: Inside VS 2005 I add a solution to TFS (but I added it in the wrong place of the tree), then delete the solution (folder) from TFS. I have no pending changes after that (either committed the changes or undid them, I tried both). Then I right-click on the solution in solution explorer, but the context menu doesn't have the option "Add solution to source control" anymore.

Why isn't the option there anymore?

I need to add this solution back to TFS, how can this be accomplished?

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:47 PM

Answers

• You need to un-bind the solution from source control.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181375(VS.80).aspx

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:01 PM
  • To add to James' post - you may have the same situation when you undo "Add solution" as well (see the following thread).

Regards, Eugene

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:19 PM
  • You will also want to go to the Workspaces dialog and remove the workspace mapping the "Add Solution to Source Control" operation created.  Otherwise, after you unbind and attempt to perform the subsequent "Add Solution to Source Control", you will not be prompted where to place the solution -- the IDE will put it in the mapped location (and this is what you're trying to fix). 

To summarize, unbinding the solution and removing the workspace mapping(s) should be sufficient to reenable the Add Solution to Source Control menu and to allow you to specify a new server location as part of that operation.

--Ben Ryan

Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:39 PM

All replies

• You need to un-bind the solution from source control.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181375(VS.80).aspx

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:01 PM
  • To add to James' post - you may have the same situation when you undo "Add solution" as well (see the following thread).

Regards, Eugene

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:19 PM
  • You will also want to go to the Workspaces dialog and remove the workspace mapping the "Add Solution to Source Control" operation created.  Otherwise, after you unbind and attempt to perform the subsequent "Add Solution to Source Control", you will not be prompted where to place the solution -- the IDE will put it in the mapped location (and this is what you're trying to fix). 

To summarize, unbinding the solution and removing the workspace mapping(s) should be sufficient to reenable the Add Solution to Source Control menu and to allow you to specify a new server location as part of that operation.

--Ben Ryan

Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:39 PM