none
"Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has stopped working"

Question

• I'm getting this crash more and more often when I start Visual Studio 2010. If I keep trying to start it, it eventually does work, but it's very irritating.

When I click on Debug, instead of Cancel, and if I have a started VS 2010 that can be hijacked to become the debugger, then I get the following dialog:

"A buffer overrun has occurred in devenv.exe which has corrupted the program's internal state. Press Break to debug the program or Continue to terminate the program."

Clicking on Break, I'm informed that the call stack is a follows:

> msvcr100_clr0400.dll!7095e89f()  
      [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for msvcr100_clr0400.dll] 
      clrjit.dll!6d3a3396()  
      clrjit.dll!6d3afb52()  
      clr.dll!68c81a6b()  
      084e8bff() 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(PS. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, on a machine a bit slow by modern standards - Windows 7 gives it a "Windows Experience Index" of 2.0. Don't think I've installed anything that should conflict with VS 2010. It's VS 2010 Premium.)

Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi RennieP,

Based on your description, it seems that VS2010 IDE crashed when you opened VS2010.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE crash issue, there would be many causes for it to happen. Could you please help me to check the following steps to deal with the crash?

Since VS2010 applies WPF-based shell, it might record some CLR call stack when VS IDE is launched. To eliminate some possible cause of WPF, we could turn off hardware acceleration by editing the registry key to check whether the scenario will happen again.
    Please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912.aspx#disablehardwareacceleration
    We need to manually add this registry key in the Registry Editor.

If it doesn't work, please try some common workarounds mentioned below to handle crash issue:
      1. Try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly.
      2. Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
      3. Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If the above suggestions don't work, please try checking in your event log and see if you see any exceptions that are logged around the time that the error occurs. It might shed some light on this problem.
    For more information on how to view event log, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Moreover, usually, we need to look into the memory dump to know what the cause is. It is a good way for us to track the root cause of crash concern. We might debug the crash.
    You can try to use some tool like Procdump to get the dump file of the crash. Then you can report your issue with dump file to MSDN feedback site: http://connect.microsoft.com.
    Or you can use Windbg Tool to analyze dump file.
    Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by RennieP Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:20 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi RennieP,

Based on your description, it seems that VS2010 IDE crashed when you opened VS2010.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE crash issue, there would be many causes for it to happen. Could you please help me to check the following steps to deal with the crash?

Since VS2010 applies WPF-based shell, it might record some CLR call stack when VS IDE is launched. To eliminate some possible cause of WPF, we could turn off hardware acceleration by editing the registry key to check whether the scenario will happen again.
    Please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912.aspx#disablehardwareacceleration
    We need to manually add this registry key in the Registry Editor.

If it doesn't work, please try some common workarounds mentioned below to handle crash issue:
      1. Try running devenv /Safemode in Command Prompt to see if you can apply it correctly.
      2. Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
      3. Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If the above suggestions don't work, please try checking in your event log and see if you see any exceptions that are logged around the time that the error occurs. It might shed some light on this problem.
    For more information on how to view event log, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Moreover, usually, we need to look into the memory dump to know what the cause is. It is a good way for us to track the root cause of crash concern. We might debug the crash.
    You can try to use some tool like Procdump to get the dump file of the crash. Then you can report your issue with dump file to MSDN feedback site: http://connect.microsoft.com.
    Or you can use Windbg Tool to analyze dump file.
    Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by RennieP Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:20 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi RennieP,

I'm writing to follow up the post. Does the above suggestion work?

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi Yichun Chen,

Thank you very much for the very exhaustive set of suggestions.

My situation is that ever since you posted your suggestions, everything has been working fine. So I haven't had a chance to try doing any of the things you suggest.

I'll mark your posting as "the answer". Thanks again for your time.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi RennieP,

It's my pleasure!

Let me know if you need any help on Visual Studio installation.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hi All,

I am getting below error when I run Visual Studio 2010 application.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             devenv.exe

Application Version:                           10.0.30319.1

Application Timestamp:                     4ba1fab3

Fault Module Name:                          clr.dll

Fault Module Version:                        4.0.30319.1

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4ba1d9ef

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                00069196

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  1db8

Additional Information 2:                  1db8b07f2301d413323a380c586cfeb7

Additional Information 3:                  203f

Additional Information 4:                  203f7ab6acabacdce42d2d42422f7354

I am using windows 7 professional edition 32 bit.

Advice please. Thanks in advance.

Shilambuselvan A 

| Chennai - 600 008 | India
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I'm getting this crash more and more often when I start Visual Studio 2010. If I keep trying to start it, it eventually does work, but it's very irritating.

When I click on Debug, instead of Cancel, and if I have a started VS 2010 that can be hijacked to become the debugger, then I get the following dialog:

"A buffer overrun has occurred in devenv.exe which has corrupted the program's internal state. Press Break to debug the program or Continue to terminate the program."

Clicking on Break, I'm informed that the call stack is a follows:

> msvcr100_clr0400.dll!7095e89f()  
      [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for msvcr100_clr0400.dll] 
      clrjit.dll!6d3a3396()  
      clrjit.dll!6d3afb52()  
      clr.dll!68c81a6b()  
      084e8bff()

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(PS. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, on a machine a bit slow by modern standards - Windows 7 gives it a "Windows Experience Index" of 2.0. Don't think I've installed anything that should conflict with VS 2010. It's VS 2010 Premium.)

i have the same problem too..please help  ASAP.

problem details:

Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: devenv.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.30319.1
    Application Timestamp: 4ba1fab3
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: 3001e80d
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

i have no idea what just happen..

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it

tried the maintenance  mode..

tried running it as administrator..

still not working..

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Recently I had the same problem, there is not much help on the Internet. So I thought this could be an easy fix. I re-install Visual Studio Several times but no luck. Finally, I uninstall .NET Framework along with Visual Studio, re-boot and re-install.

It worked fine !!

I thought it might help someone.

AbuTaareq

Friday, March 01, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Reinstalling .NET solved the problem for me too. Be aware that if you updated to .NET 4.5 this includes .NET 4, so you have to remove and reinstall .NET 4.5.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:57 AM