none
Running QBasic from Visual Basic

Question

• I have a program written in QuickBasic that is propreitary code and we hold patents on it (i.e. changing the code is not an option) but my boss wants a Windows interface for it.

I was wondering if, using VB 2008 Express, there was a way to either run the .BAS file from VB, or to have VB launch QBASIC and then run the .BAS file in QBASIC and have the user work the program from there. Even if there's a way to just launch QBASIC and the user manually runs the .BAS it would be a start.

The second part to this problem is that if I need to ender the file extension for either QBASIC or the .BAS, I was hoping there was a way to have it automatically look in the same directory as the .vb file so that the file path is not computer specific as long as the other files are in the same folder.

Thanks bunches.

Friday, January 23, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• VB.NET can launch processes using Process.Start or Shell. But what would be the reason for running from QBASIC? Can't you just compile it, and launch the compiled EXE?

As far as sticking a Windows interface on it, I'm not aware of any solution other than rewriting. But I wonder whether patents would really lose force just because you updated a little syntax.

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:00 PM