none
Protect Excel Spreadsheet but still allow users to enter data?

General discussion

• Hi,

I am trying to design a spreadsheet which will stop users from deleting and inserting column, rows and also editing any of the form, however, I still need the users to have the rights to select data from the cells which contain a drop down box and type free text in a couple of cells.

Can anyone help please?
    • Changed type Bessie Zhao Monday, September 14, 2009 1:37 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Charlie,

Based on my research, you have to define a Ribbon XML in your project, and then use <command> tag in the .xml file. Here is a similar thread you can refer to: List of ID numbers for built-in CommandBar controls in Excel 2007.

Regarding what you mentioned, in the event handler method, just set the parameter cancelDefault to true, which prevent the default actions. In additional, if you want to know more idMso attribute of Controls, here is the download link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4329d9e9-4d11-46a5-898d-23e4f331e9ae&displaylang=en#filelist.

As you mentioned above, I guess it means editing any of the cells. If yes, as far as I know, this action is equal to the actions which are selecting data from the cells and typing free text to a cell.

Hope this help,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:27 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to "General Discussion" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:37 AM