none
GiveIO.sys on Win7-64

Question

• Hi,
    I have an old project using GiveIO.sys to use IO under XP.
    Now I got an X64 system with w7-64 on it, the driver won't load.

Is there a 64 Bit version of GiveIO.sys ?
    I see a lot of questions on inet, but no answers.
    Is it technically possible to use the same "trick" giveio.sys uses under XP, under win7-64 ?
    With giveio.sys comes giveio.C , but unfortunately, no project to build it with...

Is it impossible to run a 32 bit driver under win7-64 ? or just blocked for safety/compatibility reasons ?

Rob
    www.robtso.nl

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:43 AM

Answers

• I do not know if there is a GiveIO.sys x64 version. YOu can not use a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit system. This is by design. It is the same you'd like to use regular fuel in a diesel vehicle or vice versa...

In general you will not find any free (and signatured) x64 drivers anymore that are able to access the complete hardware. The WinRin0 driver was the last one I know. The 1.3.x version is basically what you are looking for.

The base problem of this type of drivers is that malware authors are happy about this drivers and the best thing is that they have a signed kernel driver that does have the name of an other person, and they only need to use the driver. This happened with WinRing0. The certificate was invalidated, and therefore the author deleted his SourceForge archive, since he had trouble because 3rd persons were using the driver for malware or other "no go" software. You will not find a lot sources of the latest Winring 1.3.x driver anymore with the signed x64 bit driver in this archive anymore.

• Marked as answer by Rob__ Friday, February 04, 2011 8:28 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 8:10 AM

All replies

• I do not know if there is a GiveIO.sys x64 version. YOu can not use a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit system. This is by design. It is the same you'd like to use regular fuel in a diesel vehicle or vice versa...

In general you will not find any free (and signatured) x64 drivers anymore that are able to access the complete hardware. The WinRin0 driver was the last one I know. The 1.3.x version is basically what you are looking for.

The base problem of this type of drivers is that malware authors are happy about this drivers and the best thing is that they have a signed kernel driver that does have the name of an other person, and they only need to use the driver. This happened with WinRing0. The certificate was invalidated, and therefore the author deleted his SourceForge archive, since he had trouble because 3rd persons were using the driver for malware or other "no go" software. You will not find a lot sources of the latest Winring 1.3.x driver anymore with the signed x64 bit driver in this archive anymore.

• Marked as answer by Rob__ Friday, February 04, 2011 8:28 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 8:10 AM
  • What would mallware do with IO access ?
    Or does the driver free-up more than that ?

Rob
    www.robtso.nl
    Friday, February 04, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Is it technically possible to use the same "trick" giveio.sys uses under XP, under win7-64 ?

Not sure if this this is possible.  Better change the project to use a normal device driver, both on XP ans Win7.

--pa

Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Better change the project to use a normal device driver, both on XP ans Win7.

--pa

Yes I know... I would not recomend the giveIO method if it can be avoided.
    I't just a matter of time, the module is legacy, and hardly used anymore, so I'm looking for the easyest way out.

Rob
    www.robtso.nl

Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I was able to install giveio on my 64-bit Sony Vaio Flip Laptop running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.

To achieve this, I set the compatibility of all giveio applications (instdrv.exe) and the software I wanted to run (a custom program) to Win95 (setting to winXP didn't work).  I also set the instdrv.exe to "run as administrator" and gave permission to run when the pop-up window asked.

When I installed giveio, I received the message that it was successful in creating the service. However, it still gave the message that it failed to find the handle to giveio.  Nevertheless the software ran fine.

I was unable to find giveio in the device manager, but even up rebooting, giveio remained active and the software ran fine.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 4:23 PM
  • We switched to CPUID-SDK, which does not only offer to read out HW like CPU Temp, etc. but also has die GiveIO functinality like ReadPort8, ReadPort16, ReadMemdirect, etc. The SDK has a 32 and a 64 Bit signed driver included. You could write 32 or 64 apps using this - we write industrial apps and are very happy with the SDK....

Just my 2 cents

bitbo

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:56 AM