none
Visual Studio 2012 Pro Crashes at Startup

Question

• I just installed Visual Studio 2012 pro and it crashes after start up.  About 10 seconds after it reaches the main page, it crashes without giving an error, it just states that it can not continue.  I previously had VS2012 RC installed which worked fine and I uninstalled before loading.  I am running on Windows 7 Pro.

I also had Vs2010 which worked fine and express.  I have uninstalled all MS developer tools, this is a realatively clean and unused machine.

Any ideas on how to get this to work would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Barry,

I figured out the problem.  I tried everything you suggested above and had nothing, including the Event Viewer.  I didn't have time to keep working with it, so I decided to just reformat the whole thing and use a clean install.  I was able to do this because the computer had been a realativly clean install to start with so it was not as drastic a step as it sounds. 

VS2012 installed and ran perfectly with the new install until I loaded our old source control Source Gear Valault 3.1.8 then VS2012 started crashing in the exact same way.

VS2010 and VS2012 RC are compatible with Source Gear Vault 3.18 but the release version VS2012 is not.  VS2010 even used it without problem.

Thanks for your help. 

Larry

Friday, October 05, 2012 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Just from your post. It seems you haven't uninstall previous version completely or your installation was corrupt.

Please follwing some steps here and gather some logs for me:

1. Please refer to this page to make sure RC version has been uninstalled(include updates):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744926 

2. Since you have uninstalled all MS developer tools, please refer to this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=vs.110).aspx

Use devenv.exe /log on "Start->Run" to gather Visual Studio crash logs under this directory "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<version>\ActivityLog.xml."

Or Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2012) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2012  -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator);

This log will help me to know which package failed to load.

3. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather VS2012 installation logs for me.

You will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload it to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share it with me.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I reviewed the links for removing VS2012 RC and found nothing left to be removed.  I have created the log file and ran the collection program and posted both files here.

http://sdrv.ms/T52wU6

Thanks for your help!

Larry.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Hi Larry,

I checked your logs. Visual Studio installed without any error.

The error detail from Visual Studio is

<description>Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp.</description>

<hr>80070002</hr>

This error 80070002 means access is denied. It seems you can use VS2010 and VS2012 RC without any error so I think you do have Admin privilege now. Please try the following steps here, I wonder to know the results:

1. Boot your OS to safemode. Paste your result whether you can open VS. 

2. On "Control panel" " Administrative Tools" there is a tool called "Event Viewer". Try to find if there are any error info about Visual Studio.

3. I know you may know this but please try disable AV software when running Visual Studio.

4. I've saw some related threads solved by update their Device Driver. Ensure they are patched up.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 05, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Barry,

I figured out the problem.  I tried everything you suggested above and had nothing, including the Event Viewer.  I didn't have time to keep working with it, so I decided to just reformat the whole thing and use a clean install.  I was able to do this because the computer had been a realativly clean install to start with so it was not as drastic a step as it sounds. 

VS2012 installed and ran perfectly with the new install until I loaded our old source control Source Gear Valault 3.1.8 then VS2012 started crashing in the exact same way.

VS2010 and VS2012 RC are compatible with Source Gear Vault 3.18 but the release version VS2012 is not.  VS2010 even used it without problem.

Thanks for your help. 

Larry

Friday, October 05, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Thanks for this post.  That was the exact same problem I had.  I would had have never figured it out without seeing this post. I had SourceGear Vault Client 3.1.5 on my computer.  VS2010 and 2008 worked fine.  After installing VS2012 Pro, it would just crash after a few seconds on the startup screen.  I tried running as administrator.  I checked the SHA1 hash so the download wasn't corrupted.   Tried doing both an install from .iso and well as using the web installer. 

Then I read your post and so I uninstalled SourceGear.  Didn't reboot.  I started up VS2012 and magically it stopped crashing. 

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:27 PM
  • The crazy thing is the release candidate worked.  It's like they delibrately made the production version crash with source gear so we'd use team foundation.  We've decided to go with subversion and AnkhSVN plugin for now.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Yup, same here. Uninstalling Vault Client solved the problem.
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:54 PM
  • The latest release of Vault, version 6.0, works fine with Visual Studio 2012.

Earlier versions of Vault have not been tested with VS 2012, so may not work -- especially Vault 3.x, which was released 6 years before VS 2012 came out.

When you update your development tools, like Visual Studio, it's a good idea to check compatibility with the rest of your environment, including source control.

Linda Bauer

SourceGear

• Edited by lbauer Friday, January 25, 2013 7:25 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:29 PM