none
InvalidServiceVersionException in Web Access viewing changesets

Question

• Installed a test deployment of TFS 2013 RTM yesterday to test upgrade path from 2012.2.  Since then, on the new 2013 web access, when navigating to the Code section, then to Changesets or Shelvesets, I get a popup in the browser that simply states "Error in the application."  There is nothing logged on the server anywhere that I can find that gives any further information.

Using IE developer tools option I was able to trace the network calls, and this is the 500 message given:

{"$id":"1","innerException":null,"message":"Error in the application.","typeName":"Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Framework.Server.InvalidServiceVersionException, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Framework.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a","typeKey":"InvalidServiceVersionException","errorCode":0,"eventId":4245}

I do not receive this same error on our existing 2012.2 deployment. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this really means and how to resolve it?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• Tim,

I am a developer on the TFS team. I am sorry for the convenience that this have caused. This is a known issue and we are working on official fix for it. In the meantime, you can execute the following script in TFS collection databases to fix the problem. You don't need to take server/team project collections offline to run it.

IF EXISTS ( SELECT *
                FROM    sys.extended_properties
                WHERE   name = 'TFS_SERVICE_LEVEL'
                        AND value = 'Dev12.M53') 
       AND
       EXISTS ( SELECT *
                WHERE   name = 'TFS_DATABASE_TYPE'
                        AND value = 'Collection')
    BEGIN
        EXEC prc_SetServiceVersion 'Discussion', 6
    END

Thanks,

--Vladimir

• Marked as answer by Tim Batts Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:59 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Tim,

I am a developer on the TFS team. I am sorry for the convenience that this have caused. This is a known issue and we are working on official fix for it. In the meantime, you can execute the following script in TFS collection databases to fix the problem. You don't need to take server/team project collections offline to run it.

IF EXISTS ( SELECT *
                WHERE   name = 'TFS_SERVICE_LEVEL'
                        AND value = 'Dev12.M53') 
       AND
       EXISTS ( SELECT *
                WHERE   name = 'TFS_DATABASE_TYPE'
                        AND value = 'Collection')
    BEGIN
        EXEC prc_SetServiceVersion 'Discussion', 6
    END

Thanks,

--Vladimir

• Marked as answer by Tim Batts Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:59 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you for the prompt response!  That did the trick.  Looking forward to getting into the new features in 2013...
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Thanks for the information guys. This worked for me to, so far, but I hit this immediately when I performed a test upgrade of our production environment.

What is this status of this? Is it caused by something, or are we just unlucky? Will this be a hotfix or wait for update 1?

Clearly it's not usable without running the above. I have a 20gb production environment which I was planning to upgrade before the end of the year.

Many Thanks

Peter

Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Peter, we just released an updated installer on Friday that contains the fix. You can use this with your production environment and not need to use the SQL script.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2013/11/08/updated-team-foundation-server-2013-download-addressing-web-and-installation-path-issues.aspx

Sorry for the trouble.

http://blogs.msdn.com/buckh

Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:57 PM