none
Windows Media Player - Visual C++ Runtime Library

Question

• OK...I am not sure if this is where I need to post this, but it looked like the place.

I am running Windows XP

I have been trying to open my Windows Media Player 10 and this is the message that I get....

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Assertion failed!

Program: ...rogram Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    File: .\geiss.cpp
    Line: 509

Expression: hdc == NULL

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
    failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
    Abort   Retry   Ignore  

I have tried downloading WMP again, but nothing.

The player was working OK several days ago...and now this......can anyone help.

Thanks
    OneScrappyLady

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Doesn't anyone have an answer or solution for this problem.  HELP!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:52 PM
  • This is not the problem with the VC++ CRT library, but a bug in Windows Media Player. You need to report this to owners of Windows Media Player. Try checking KB articles and/or contacting support using ways described here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/default.aspx

Nikola

VC++

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:49 PM
  • If it doesn't have anything to do with the VC++Runtime Library, then why did that error box come up???
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 10:57 PM
  • CRT library provides a mechanisms for reporting assertations and exceptions. So even exception is caused by error in the code, it is reported through CRT library. As it says in the report, you may find more information on assertations and exceptions, how and where they are reported in Visual C++ documentation.

Nikola

Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:21 AM
  • Nikola,

OK...see this is where I get into trouble here.   I am a self taught computer user.  I usually can figure out most things when something goes wrong, but this one has got me stumped.  I'm not sure of where to go or what to do with the information that you have given me.  Is there another site that contains this information or is this something that I would find on my computer? 

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

HELP!!!!  I am lost here!!!!

Thanks,

OneScrappyLady

Sunday, November 12, 2006 7:56 PM
  • Have you tried going to the control panel and removing Windows media player and then re-installing it?

Another possibility is to do a full reinstall of Windows from the media that came with your machine.  I personally do this after the second Tuesday of every month, and then visit Windows Update from within Internet Explorer.
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:44 PM
  • Yes...I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WMP from the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel....no help there.  Still the same problem.

I have not tried doing a full reinstall of Windows from the disc.  Will that erase anything that's on my computer now???  That kinda of scares me!!!!

OneScrappyLady

Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:50 PM
  •  OneScrappyLady wrote:

Yes...I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WMP from the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel....no help there. Still the same problem.

I have not tried doing a full reinstall of Windows from the disc. Will that erase anything that's on my computer now??? That kinda of scares me!!!!

OneScrappyLady

A full re-install will generally wipe everything from your hard drive.  

longwood
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:13 PM
  • When you say wipe everything from your computer.....does that mean everything that I have saved on my computer....or what??

Could you be more specific?  I'm not sure about this.

Thanks

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:00 PM
  • OneScrappyLady doesnt seem to be getting anywhere on this.  I just had the exact same issue with Windows Media Player.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, even upgrading to WMP 11 with no luck.  My problem started when I chose to change the skin (I think). When trying to open the program the Visual C++ dialog box will open multiple times rapidly and then close down.

I did notice that there is a reference to geiss.cpp and hdc==null and msvcr71.dll

Like OSL, I can usually think through most problems, but this one really sucks.  Help!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 1:39 PM
  • I got it!!!!!!  I just kept looking and ended up finding the geiss.dll in the Yahoo Music.  As soon as I deleted it the 
    WMP works great!!!!

Thanks for all of the help that was provided.

OneScrappyLady

Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:32 PM
  • OSL,  I followed your lead and deleted the geiss.dll in Yahoo Music with the same great results.

Interestingly I was able to roll back to WMP9 and it did not crash (before deleting the dll).  But when I did the upgrade to ver.11 it crashed right away.  Now I am  running WMP11 with no problems.  Thanks OSL!

Friday, November 24, 2006 4:36 AM
  • hey osl,

i'm realy new to this internet stuff and do not have a clue as to where to look to delete this geiss dll file. i need some real step by step instructions to get me through this.

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Listen carefully I was strugglin for more than 3 days with this error.  You shoulg go to Ctrol Panel then Uninstall the Yahoo Music program.

them Windows Media Player will return to its normal function.

Good Luck

Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:37 AM
  • I would just like to thank EVERYONE on this page!!! I've been struggling with this problem for about a week now with no clue as of what to do. But thanks to the information on this page my windows media center is back up and running. THANK YA ALL

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:12 AM