none
Visual Studio 2010 - Project Creation Failed

Question

• I have been trying to use Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and cannot make a project.  I first installed 2010 Express.  When I attempted to create a project (within my documents) I received an error - project creation failed.  After trying several things to solve it I uninstalled express.  I then installed 2010 Pro, and had the same problem.  I have updated everything and tried several listed solutions, none have worked.

Running in Windows 7, 64 bit.

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Monday, July 02, 2012 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the MSDN forum

Have you received any error when installing?

If so, show me the error detail.

If not, when you tried to create a new project, what's the error?

I'm thinking that this issue may because of corrupt templates, so please follow these instructions:

•    Clear your %temp% folder, they are all temp files. Ignore those files you cannot delete.
    •    We may need to reset templates. Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE); 
    •    Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder; 
    •    Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator); 
    •    Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch
    •    Run the devenv /Setup switch

If the action failed, open your OS with Safe mode, show me if you can build a simple project.

If you can, try open your OS with normal mode and close applications from task master one by one to look for the error.

Then show me the software you found.

If failed, try reset Visual Studio
    •    Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010  -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator); 
    •    Try some devenv switches in command prompt:
         a. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
         b. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
         c. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    •    Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If this still cannot work, show me how did you uninstalled the product. The best solution is to use this software with full command on "Run" prompt, http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the MSDN forum

Have you received any error when installing?

If so, show me the error detail.

If not, when you tried to create a new project, what's the error?

I'm thinking that this issue may because of corrupt templates, so please follow these instructions:

•    Clear your %temp% folder, they are all temp files. Ignore those files you cannot delete.
    •    We may need to reset templates. Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE); 
    •    Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder; 
    •    Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator); 
    •    Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch
    •    Run the devenv /Setup switch

If the action failed, open your OS with Safe mode, show me if you can build a simple project.

If you can, try open your OS with normal mode and close applications from task master one by one to look for the error.

Then show me the software you found.

If failed, try reset Visual Studio
    •    Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010  -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator); 
    •    Try some devenv switches in command prompt:
         a. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
         b. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
         c. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    •    Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If this still cannot work, show me how did you uninstalled the product. The best solution is to use this software with full command on "Run" prompt, http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 5:45 AM
  • None of those work, has nothing to do with permissions, everything has full permissions. Still doesn't work. there is also no devenv.exe program inside the folder. Even repair and reset settings don't make any difference. Also what corrupt templates, there is no templates to be corrupt in the first place. I have did an uninstall, repair and reinstall, no luck. This should not be happening, and people should not have to go to so much trouble to get a program to work, I guess I'm forced to use opensource compilers.

Microsoft gives me nothing but headaches, Ive spent the past few hours trying to find a solution and am yet to find one.  I'm trying to compile my C++ programs, but this is ridiculous. It won't even compile through the VS command window. Yet if I load a C# project everything works fine. WTF??? I'm done with this program. Wasted enough time already.

• Edited by ITsniper Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:12 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:57 PM