none
Change description field from Plain text to HTML/RTE in User Story workitem

Question

• I am trying to change the description field from Plain text to HTML/RTE in User Story workitem

when i change the field type from Plain Text to HTML and then save the change i get the error

TF26038: Field type for System.Description does not match the existing type. It was PLain Text, but now is HTML.

Is there a way to change this without having to create a new and different field entirely?

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think the recomended way is to create a new field, Microsoft.VSTS.Common.DescriptionHtml, at least thats whats Microsoft has done in the VS Scrum 1.0 template.

You could also follow this post http://msmvps.com/blogs/vstsblog/archive/2009/01/11/using-rich-html-descriptions-instead-of-plain-text.aspx

• Marked as answer by Pamam Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:36 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:37 AM
  • No, there isn't. As a System field it is not changeable. Mattias's answer is the correct one.
    Jeff Levinson | ALM MVP
    Author, "Software Testing with Visual Studio 2010"
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:18 PM
  • thanks guys

this helps a lot

Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:36 PM
  • My team is using the Agile template for projects instead of the VS Scrum 1.0 template.

But I installed the VS Scrum 1.0 template and used it to create a sample project in TFS, just to see what it offered. 

Then I used Process Editor to modify a work item type (User Story etc.) in my Agile project and replace System.Description (plain text) with Microsoft.VSTS.Common.DescriptionHtml (Html) in the Description field.

After that I could use the rich text edit controls (bullets, numbers, bold, etc.) for description text.

I guess that's similar to the msmvps.com blog post, but it was more straightforward for me.

PS: When I need to copy text from the original "Description" field (plain text) to the new "Description Html" field, I was a bit unsure about using the utility mentioned in the blog post.  I thought an alternative is to use Excel, display the old and new field data in columns, and then copy from old to new.  But Excel didn't allow pasting into the Description HTML field (read only cell), apparently to prevent formatting trouble; I wish there was a workaround because I only wanted to paste plain unformatted text.

• Edited by ksultzz Friday, February 24, 2012 6:00 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:39 PM