none
Too many Visual C++ Redistributables

Question

• Hello, I've looked just about everywhere and I couldn't find a solution.  I often find that after installing and uninstalling many programs (video games, mostly) I am left with a lot of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005/2008 Redistributable x86 *insert version here*" files.  Is there any way to find out which programs are dependent on them?  I hate having files on my computer that I don't use, just taking up space.  Does anyone know of a program I can run, or a method to find out if I need them?

Thanks in advance

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

• You can run ProcMon and set up a path  filter to contain visual C++ file names. Start each and every program on the computer, do all the task you usually do, and exit out.

A daunting task, if you have too many apps installed. Generally it is not worth your time even if you are using SSD hard drives (a few USD per GB). You will only be able to save a few MB.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:24 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• You can run ProcMon and set up a path  filter to contain visual C++ file names. Start each and every program on the computer, do all the task you usually do, and exit out.

A daunting task, if you have too many apps installed. Generally it is not worth your time even if you are using SSD hard drives (a few USD per GB). You will only be able to save a few MB.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:24 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hello, I've looked just about everywhere and I couldn't find a solution.  I often find that after installing and uninstalling many programs (video games, mostly) I am left with a lot of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005/2008 Redistributable x86 *insert version here*" files.  Is there any way to find out which programs are dependent on them?  I hate having files on my computer that I don't use, just taking up space.  Does anyone know of a program I can run, or a method to find out if I need them?

Thanks in advance

If you want delete unwanted  c++ redistributable, you can follow Sheng Jiang comments for find the useable redistributable DLL's.

If you find redistributable doesn't used by any process, you can rename the redistributable folder and try to run your application. Once all your application is working fine, you can remove the unwanted  c++ redistributable.

Thanks and Regards Selvam http://www15.brinkster.com/selvamselvam/
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:44 AM