none
Start TFS Work Item system.id at a predefined number

Question

• Is there a way to start the system.id for a new TFS project at a predefined number? I am replacing a legacy task, defect and enhancement system and would like to start the sysem id at 20000 instead of 1. I have played with the backend SQL database and was not successful. I have not tried to import any old tickets.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi kentolcou

Work item id is unique across all team project in a TFS instance. And in TfsWorkItemTracking.WorkItemAre table,  work item id is an integer primary key with Identity. To let the work item id begin with 20000, you can set the identity seed of it.

Note: this is a rare case and I'm not sure this is fully tested. And we don't recommend customers to modify database directly. If it's not necessary, I'd like to suggest you to use the default settings.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by kentolcou Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:27 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi kentolcou

Work item id is unique across all team project in a TFS instance. And in TfsWorkItemTracking.WorkItemAre table,  work item id is an integer primary key with Identity. To let the work item id begin with 20000, you can set the identity seed of it.

Note: this is a rare case and I'm not sure this is fully tested. And we don't recommend customers to modify database directly. If it's not necessary, I'd like to suggest you to use the default settings.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by kentolcou Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:27 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Thanks. Where in the database do I find this entry? This is a request from our VP.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Nevermind I figured it out, Thanks. Works like a charm. I did something similar when I was in the Rational ClearQuest world.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Happy to heard that it works,

What you did for starting system.id at predined number?

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:49 AM