none
VS 2012 will not start

Question

• Hi,

Installed VS2012 ultimate recently and it was working for a day, now when I try to run it it fails to start. There are no error messages to indicate any problem, the cursor spins for a few seconds and then disappears and checking the task manager VS is not running.

The only products I have installed for are Telerik and Devexpress controls and a couple of add-ins (Vs10x, VS Commands and TabStudio).

Can anyone please assist in getting me back up and running, I'm sure that VS2012 is not that fragile.

Regards..

Peter

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:55 PM

Answers

• I had similar issue, you may be in the same boat.Found this from somebody else when looking around.

The problem is with VS2012 Commands extension. It puts the registry entry below that somehow causes the ntdll error. What I did was take out the whole Layers key, start VS2012 and remove the extension. You may have to do it twice if VS manages to put it back when you start the first time.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"=""

• Marked as answer by PeterA56 Friday, August 31, 2012 12:18 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:12 PM

All replies

• When did you install those other add-ins? Some may not be compatible with VS2012 yet, or need to be updated first (ex: I know VSCommands has a VS2012-compatible extension).

You can also try to start VS in SafeMode to see if that works without loading extensions:

devenv /SafeMode

If that works, you might use the opportunity to disable extensions and re-enable them one at a time to see which might cause a failure.

- Heath @ http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths; Visual Studio Professional Deployment

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Heath,

Thanks for the reply, all the add-ins are specific for VS2012. I tried to run VS2012 in safe mode and get the same problem (it will not start).

I also tried creating a new user then logging in as the new user, running VS2012 and installing the add-ins one by one (run after each add-in is installed) I get the same issue it (VS2012)will not run (it differs when it fails to start each time after adding each add-in, so it doesn't seem to be specific to any particular add-in).

Regards..

Peter

• Edited by PeterA56 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:16 AM Update text
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Hi Peter,

What operating system you are working on? And could you please share me the link of these add-ins? I will try to install them on my machine to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Vicky,

Hi and thanks for responding, my OS is Windows 7 x64.

The add-ins I am using are:

VS10x Code Map V2 - http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/1c54d1bd-d898-4705-903f-fa4a319b50f2

VS Commands for VS2012 - http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/a83505c6-77b3-44a6-b53b-73d77cba84c8

Tab Studio for VS2010/2012 - http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/EBF6137E-AA2D-4DC9-860A-F04168F11CD7

I would also like to add that this has happened on 2 different pieces of hardware (1 Desktop and on a laptop).

Regards..

Peter

• Edited by PeterA56 Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:56 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:53 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I did a test on my side, I am sorry that I can't reproduce your issue. My VS2012 Ultimate works great together with these 3 add-ins you offered above. So, I think your issue should not related to the add-ins.

Could you please try repairing or re-installing the VS2012 to see if it helps? Also take a look at the Event Viewer to see if there is anything useful.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 24, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Vicky,

Thanks for the reply, I suspected that you would not have an issue, I have tried to do a repair and this failed as well (VS won't start).

Subsequently I uninstalled VS 2012 and deleted all the applicable folders that i could find for VS2012 plus any registry entries created with VS2012 in their key names.

I carried out a re-install on VS 2012 and only had one issue regarding C++ which was fixed by running a repair (found info online about this issue). Once reinstall and repair was completed I rebooted my laptop and attempted to run VS2012 (no add-ins or 3rd party controls installed at this point).

VS did not start (got spinning cursor for approx 15 seconds then nothing), I will run devenv /log tonight and look at the system logs and the generated log file to see if I can find any pointers to why it will not run and report back my findings.

Regards..

Peter

Friday, August 24, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Vicky,

Here is the error message that is being produced in the Application log everytime I try to start VS2012:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 11.0.50727.1, time stamp: 0x5011ecaa
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce6c3
    Faulting process id: 0x1754
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd81e4ce45eb9a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 0c4103e3-edd8-11e1-9475-005056c00008

Regards..

Peter

Friday, August 24, 2012 10:46 AM
  • I've forwarded this thread to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Heath,

Thanks

Regards..

Peter

Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:24 PM
  • For what it is worth, I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I installed VS 2012 Professional yesterday.  It was working fine for a little while.  Now it won't start.  I get the spinning cursor and then nothing.  Event log shows the following.

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 11.0.50727.1, time stamp: 0x5011ecaa
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce6c3
    Faulting process id: 0xb40
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd853850566065
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 8eac8155-f12b-11e1-9248-0026b9c74e8f

I initially had ReSharper 7 and VS Commands 2012 installed.  I've since uninstalled ReSharper (via Add/Remove programs) and attempted to manually uninstall VS Commands.  Both actions have had no impact.  I still cannot start VS.  /SafeMode also has no effect.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:27 PM
  • 'Just to throw my two cents in...

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue.  Visual Studio 2012 Professional with Visual Assist, ViEmu, and VS Commands.  Anyone else noticing a pattern here?  VS Commands.  Furthermore, I noticed the problem originally while using the RC.  As far as I can remember, my issues started just after I installed an update to VS Commands (note, not the initial install of VS Commands).

FWIW, I had the Beta installed, then the RC, and then the RTM.  However, I've never been able to actually start the RTM (since my issues started with the RC).  I've tried every permutation of repairing, uninstalling, re-installing, and later deleting various folders and registration keys that I can think of and that I've come across on the internet; to no avail.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:49 PM
  • It's possible VSCommands has some compat problems. Have you tried uninstalling the extension to see if RTM works? I've not heard general reports of failures with that extension, but perhaps the combination of upgrades + the extension is an issue.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:12 PM
  • For the folks still hitting the problem, can you run devenv /setup from the visual studio command prompt and then launch VS? It could be that one of the uninstalls did not run devenv /setup resulting in a corrupted cache.

Thanks.

Matt Kaufman

Visual Studio Platform

blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, devenv /setup had no impact.  VS still won't load.  I continue to see a spinning cursor for a few seconds, then nothing.

Since my last post, I also went into the file system and registry and removed any residual reference to VS Commands that I could find.  Still no luck...

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately that did not work for me either. VS still will not start and am getting the same error message in the system application log regarding NTDLL.DLL.

Regards..

Peter

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Happened to me as well after installing one of the following extensions:

• VisualSVN 3.0.2
    • tangible T4 Editor 2.0 plus modeling tools for VS 2012

I am running on Windows 7 Pro SP1

I am using VS2012 Professional with reSharper 7.0.1

Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Have found a work around that works mostly but can also suffer the same fate. I created another login on my machine and logged into that and then setup VS once again, this worked mostly but have had it fail a couple of times so I deleted the login and created a new one then repeated the setup of VS (including my add-ins).

This has been working now for about a week. I suspect that the fix to this situation would be an OS rebuild and re-install all apps etc (not something to be taken lightly, would prefer a fix)

Regards..

Peter

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Try uninstalling all the third-party extensions, then delete the following registry key(s):

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

Then (re)start Visual Studio 2012 and see if that works.

• Proposed as answer by VStamenov Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by VStamenov Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:06 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:41 PM
  • I had similar issue, you may be in the same boat.Found this from somebody else when looking around.

The problem is with VS2012 Commands extension. It puts the registry entry below that somehow causes the ntdll error. What I did was take out the whole Layers key, start VS2012 and remove the extension. You may have to do it twice if VS manages to put it back when you start the first time.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"=""

• Marked as answer by PeterA56 Friday, August 31, 2012 12:18 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for the information, this fixed my issue. Excellent, can finally start using VS2012 again.

Regards..

Peter

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:17 PM
  • VStamenov's solution worked for me, too.  Thanks!

David

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Woohoo!  Thanks, VStamenov.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 6:55 PM
  • VS2012 started after a long time it displayed the splash screen.
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 2:36 PM
  • It appears there is a lot going on with this "won't launch" issue, and something is still outstanding.  I'm having the same issue, and nothing in this post has resolved the issue.  A coworker and I have the same laptop hardware and company Win7 64-bit OS image installed, and we both have the same issue.  On a Win7 64-bit desktop build (same OS image), the problem is not experienced.  This is a stock install of VS 2012 with no add-ins.

What happens? ... I launch VS 2012, I sometimes see a quick flash of the splash screen (very brief), and that's it.  Nothing else.  No error messages.  Nothing in the event viewer.

Here's what I've tried:

• Looked at EventViewer for errors - Nothing obvious found
    • Latest Graphics Driver Installed - No change
    • devenv /ResetSettings - No change
    • devenv /SafeMode - No change
    • devenv /setup - No change
    • Created new user account - No change
    • Repair/Uninstall/Reinstall VS 2012 - No change
    • Uninstall/Reinstall .NET Framework 4.5 and VS 2012 - No change
    • Deleted registry keys [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0] - Splash screen stayed up longer (re-creating keys), then nothing
    • Registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0] not present on my system
    • Registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers] not present on my system

We do have anti-virus installed, but company policy will not allow me to disable it.  The same AV software is running on other desktop installations where VS launches without issue, so I believe that helps rule out AV blocking the launch.  The company OS image is also not a likely cause since our desktop machines have the same configuration (aside from obvious differences like system-specific drivers).

Worth noting, this is Visual Studio 2012 Premium RTM.  Test Manager (installed with VS) launches without any issues.

Anyone have additional suggestions?

• Edited by boydpatterson Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:08 PM added version details
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

You seem to have exhausted all the known checks to get it running, did you try looking under the Wow6432Node reg key?

Registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]

Also whilst trying to resolve my problem I ran it inside a VM (virtual Machine) which worked no problems.

Regards..

Peter

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Thanks, Peter.  I had checked under that node and it didn't exist on my system.  I'm trying to avoid the overhead of running a virtual machine (it takes a lot of effort to get a "machine" added to our corporate network), but may not have a choice.  Since this thread appears as "Answered", I think I'm going to post it under a new thread since it's technically a different issue.

That thread is now located here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/1e488859-b6f2-4133-88d7-a07190502879

• Edited by boydpatterson Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:00 PM Added link to new thread
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:45 PM
  • DING! DING! DING!

I removed following registry keys . Am now able to open solutions and and work with VS 2012.  

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0][HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config]

Hope this helps!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Thank you VStamenov!
    • Edited by maditguy72 Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:12 AM
  • I have also tried all options in this thread, the last 11.0/11.0_Config bit I had already tried, this lets me choose the developer cofig, but then back to not working.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 12:56 PM
  • DING! DING! DING!

I removed following registry keys . Am now able to open solutions and and work with VS 2012.  

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0][HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config]

Hope this helps!

Don't be afraid! This configuration keys and entries will be created on first VS start!
    Friday, October 11, 2013 2:30 PM