none
Unable to install an application because an application with the same identity is already installed

Question

• Hi All,

I am developing an application in VSTO 2008 using vb. When I attempt to re-install this addin on a PC which already had the addin installed previously, I get the error message:-

"Unable to install this application because an application with the same identity is already installed. To install this application, either modify the manifest version for this application or uninstall the preexisting application."

I have been advised to to use Mage.exe -cc to clean the ClickOnce on the client machine.

Can anyone advise on how to run mage -cc on a client machine that does not have VSTO install?

Thanks Bernie

Monday, November 16, 2009 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hello again Bernie,

According to this link, the workaround is to clear the ClickOnce cache of application manifests before reinstalling. To clear the ClickOnce cache, 

1. Open command prompt by inputting cmd in Run from Start menu.
    2. Switch to the path which mage.exe is in. In my side, the path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin. Input "cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin".
    3. Now input Mage.exe -cc. It will appears a notice: Application cache cleared.

Here is a thread for this same error: How do I "modify the manifest version for this application" for a VSTO Excel Add-in.

You also could search this forum with this error message, please see here.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Bernie22 Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:08 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Bernie,

Could you tell us more information for this issue? ClickOnce or Windows Installer? Before you reinstall this addin, have you uninstalled the add-in, or just use Mage.exe?

Best regards,
    Bessie
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

this is an application uses ClickOnce. An end user has uninstalled the program in 'Add / Remove programs' in the control panel and then attempted to reinstall the application. This is when the 'identity' error occurs. I believe the user needs to run mage -cc before attempting to reinstall the application. However I do not know how to run mage -cc on the client machine that does not have VSTO installed.

Thanks & Best,
    Bernie
    • Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Hello again Bernie,

According to this link, the workaround is to clear the ClickOnce cache of application manifests before reinstalling. To clear the ClickOnce cache, 

1. Open command prompt by inputting cmd in Run from Start menu.
    2. Switch to the path which mage.exe is in. In my side, the path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin. Input "cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin".
    3. Now input Mage.exe -cc. It will appears a notice: Application cache cleared.

Here is a thread for this same error: How do I "modify the manifest version for this application" for a VSTO Excel Add-in.

You also could search this forum with this error message, please see here.

Best regards,
    Bessie

• Marked as answer by Bernie22 Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:08 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Thankyou very much for your assistance Bessie.

Best Regards,
    Bernie
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hi Bessie

Im having the same problem and your fix does solve it. Howevere Bernie did say "An end user has uninstalled the program in 'Add / Remove programs' in the control panel and then attempted to reinstall the application" ...Why does the uninstall not work. Seems like a rather serious problem as end users cant be expected to run Mage.exe or go and find their Click Once cache files and delete them. (BTW I just manually deleted the files in Users Profile -> App Data -> Apps -> 2.0 to fix). Basicallly Im asking why the uninstall does not work and why you dont see this as a problem.

Thanks

TRex
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hello TRex,

You will get an answer for this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/133aa4ca-0515-425e-9175-458a1f352b84. The exact link as below: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/820064ae-2378-4d35-9a29-c096052bef7a/.

Best regards,
    Bessie
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

I have the same issue with the title.  But there is something different.

My issue:

I have two projects and each publishs two clickonce application. One is located in Publish-ProxyOn, the other is located in Publish-ProxyOff. If I install one of the application, then uninstall, I can reinstall it successfully. But then another one can not be installed although the former one has been uninstalled. It shows Unable to install an application because an application with the same identity is already installed.

I have tried according to #4, it works in one addin. The issue still exists in another addin. I am not very clear about the whole problem. It seems that there is different issue between Bernie and I. Bernie encountered the issue for the same application can not be reinstalled.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                                                                 Ada

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Found this info here? Which will do the trick on a system without Visual Basic Installed.

Run this command from the run menu.

rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

Credit go's to this guy!

http://www.nerdfurio.us/blog/post.aspx?id=004f104e-da73-df11-949e-001143eed2d5

• Proposed as answer by AdamWorkingHard Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:16 AM
  • This is a grea information. Thanks LostLight and others too.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:50 PM
  • It worked! Thanks!
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Very useful Info. It helped me to resolve!!
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Happy to see your post you made my day :-)
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 11:32 AM
  • I had the same problem.  Publishing my application under a higher Version Revision (allowing revision number to increment, rather than saving over the old) fixed the problem. 

Gina

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:08 PM