none
error PRJ0002 : Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe'.

Question

• Hi All,

After i installed my visual studio 2008 on Win 7 professional machine,  i have the following error message to compile any

cpp files.

error PRJ0002 : Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe'.

However, i can successfully compile a C++ program using command line.

If some one can give any advice, that will be great!

-shunguang

-------------------------- results in log file ---------

<html>
    <head>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-16">
    </head>
    <body>
    <pre>
    <table width=100% bgcolor=#CFCFE5><tr> <td> <font face=arial size=+3>
    Build Log
    </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#EDEDF5>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=#FFFFFF>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>
    <h3>Build started: Project: swMat-vc9, Configuration: Debug|Win32</h3>
    </pre></table><table width=100% bgcolor=#DFDFE5><tr><td><font face=arial size=+2>
    Command Lines
    </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#EDEDF5>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=#FFFFFF>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>Creating temporary file "c:\Projects\VisApps\src\AppUtils\swMat\Debug\RSP00000340923568.rsp" with contents
    [
    /Od /D &quot;WIN32&quot; /D &quot;_DEBUG&quot; /D &quot;_WINDOWS&quot; /D &quot;_USRDLL&quot; /D &quot;SWMATLIB_EXPORTS&quot; /D &quot;_WINDLL&quot; /D &quot;_UNICODE&quot; /D &quot;UNICODE&quot; /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /Fo&quot;Debug\\&quot; /Fd&quot;Debug\vc90.pdb&quot; /W3 /c /Wp64 /ZI /TP /wd4996 .\swdMat.cpp
    ]
    Creating command line "cl.exe @c:\Projects\VisApps\src\AppUtils\swMat\Debug\RSP00000340923568.rsp /nologo /errorReport:prompt"
    </pre></table><table width=100% bgcolor=#DFDFE5><tr><td><font face=arial size=+2>
    Output Window
    </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#EDEDF5>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=#FFFFFF>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>Compiling...
    Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe'.
    Results
    </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#EDEDF5>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=#FFFFFF>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Projects\VisApps\src\AppUtils\swMat\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    swMat-vc9 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    </pre></table><table   width=100% height=20 bgcolor=#CFCFE5><tr><td><font face=arial size=+2>
    </font></table></body></html>

----------------------------------------------------

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Shunguang57,

I have been watching this post for a while now. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this issue on my side. To fix this issue, I suggest the following steps for you: 
    1->Clean the solution and try rebuilding the project.
    2->Try cleaning the .pdb files of the application and run it again.
    3->If you have installed some software, please uninstall it and try recompiling the application.
    4->Try to reset all settings of Visual Studio. Click Tools->Import and Export Settings, select "Reset all settings", and then click "Next ". Whether to save current settings or not is up to you. Click "Next", select "Visual C++ Development Settings", and click "Finish" to complete the process.
    5->Please try to run Visual Studio in safe mode, thus prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading and ensuring stable execution.
    6->If all the ways above can't solve this issue, I suggest you repair or reinstall Visual Studio.
    7>Finally, please try to restore or reinstall the operating system.

Please try a try on the approaches, and I hope you can find one helpful method. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Helen

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Shunguang57 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:36 AM

All replies

• Thanks for reply. I tried you suggested approach, but the still the same error message.

i also restart to create a hello world project, also have the same problem.

Thanks anyway!

-shunguang

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi Shunguang57,

I have been watching this post for a while now. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this issue on my side. To fix this issue, I suggest the following steps for you: 
    1->Clean the solution and try rebuilding the project.
    2->Try cleaning the .pdb files of the application and run it again.
    3->If you have installed some software, please uninstall it and try recompiling the application.
    4->Try to reset all settings of Visual Studio. Click Tools->Import and Export Settings, select "Reset all settings", and then click "Next ". Whether to save current settings or not is up to you. Click "Next", select "Visual C++ Development Settings", and click "Finish" to complete the process.
    5->Please try to run Visual Studio in safe mode, thus prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading and ensuring stable execution.
    6->If all the ways above can't solve this issue, I suggest you repair or reinstall Visual Studio.
    7>Finally, please try to restore or reinstall the operating system.

Please try a try on the approaches, and I hope you can find one helpful method. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Helen

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Shunguang57 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:36 AM
  •  

Hi Helen,

Thanks for giving me these try directions. i already did 1,2,and 6 before reading your message.  Will let you know my exploring results once fix it.

...  (a few minutes later)

The problem was solved by try your suggestion #4.

Best,

-shunguang

Shunguang Wu, SRI International Sarnoff, Princeton, NJ 08540
    • Edited by Shunguang57 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:35 PM
  • FYI:  -1073741515 is c0000135 which means STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND, the C/C++ compiler can't find one of its dlls. Normally I would suggest reinstallation but since you've done already you're best chance is to try to figure out what dll is missing.

You could try to use Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to see what dlls is the compiler looking for.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Helen,

One more thing:  when i quit VS, then launch  it  the problem appears again. I need to do #4 again to build my code. Any suggestion to fix it? Or what's wrong with my computer?

Thanks,

-shunguang

Shunguang Wu, SRI International Sarnoff, Princeton, NJ 08540
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Hi Shunguang57,

I am happy to hear that you have solved the issue with my suggestions.

As to your new question, I suggest you have a try on restarting the computer. In addition, I suppose there may be some third-party products which caused the VS Settings cannot be changed. Perhaps the products affect the modification of the registry. So please try to find out the third-party software or components related with this problem, and then modify the options or uninstall them according to the situation.

I hope this reply can help you.
    Best regards,

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I have the same problem running sproxy.exe and I tried #4 but that didn't work. I'm not surprised. Crappy systems like this are the reason I became a Mac user. Fortunately, I get paid to untangle the ridiculously over-engineered systems that Microsoft produces. Entire careers exist because of the unfriendly and convoluted incompetence built into Microsoft OS's and platforms. Feel free to report this truth as abuse.

But it won't change the fact that it is the truth.

C++ developer

Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:15 PM