none
Catching Exception at App Level

Question

• Hello,

I want to log general exception (fatal exception).  I was wondering is there anyway for me to catch exceptions at my application level (the top most level, System.Windows.Application).

I have a try catch block in my System.Windows.Application.App() [Constructor]:

try

{

MainWindow mw = new MainWindow();

mw.Show();

}

Catch(Exception e) {Log(e); Application.Current.Shutdown()}

I can't believe that this is the right appraoch :(

I guess I could write a console application and in the Main start up the app, that way I can catch all the exception.

Thanks in advance

Houman

Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:58 AM

Answers

• You can hook up to Application.Current.DispatcherUnhandledException event to catch all the unhandled exceptions, or you can use AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException event.

Sheva
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:09 AM

All replies

• You can hook up to Application.Current.DispatcherUnhandledException event to catch all the unhandled exceptions, or you can use AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException event.

Sheva
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Thanks that's exactly what I wanted.

Houman

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:46 PM
  • Can you give an example of doing this ?

thanks

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:02 PM
  • A potentially more complete way to do it is to provide your own Main() function as an entry point and wrap it in a try / catch block.

These links might help:

http://www.infosysblogs.com/microsoft/2008/09/how_to_write_custom_main_metho.html

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jclark/archive/2005/03/30/simple-main.aspx

The problem with using the DispatcherUnhandledException event is that it won't catch any exceptions that happen while creating the Application object.

• Proposed as answer by dumbledad Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:11 PM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:29 PM