none
Why does my app on startup calls csc.exe

Question

• For some time ago I have notice that my App on every start make a call to csc.exe and starts it.
    I know for sure that that did not happened before and I can not find out why this is happening now, or better to say: what did I do in my code to trigger this?

I have google-it and found out that csc.exe is some kind off on-the-fly compiler for C# (If I understand it correctly ) but my App is in VB.net so I am a bit confused.
    Can someone explain it to me in general what have I did in my VB.Net code to make my App on every start calls csc.exe?
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:36 AM

Answers

• Thanks Cor for helping.

I tried ALL (I mean really manyyyyy) links on first 10 result pages :(

Never the less, I have found that Specialized.StringCollection saved in my.settings is the root of my problem. It is serialized as xml and I think that because of that csc.exe is called on start (maybe to desirialize?).

My question is now, is it better/safer/faster to save/read couple of strings in my.settings like:

a/ Specialized.StringCollection

or

b/ Simple strings, each separated by ';' (from List(of String))

?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Never the less, I have found that Specialized.StringCollection saved in my.settings is the root of my problem. It is serialized as xml and I think that because of that csc.exe is called on start (maybe to desirialize?).

My question is now, is it better/safer/faster to save/read couple of strings in my.settings like:

or

?

Why would only by you in your program the command line C# compiler be called to serialize while the behaviour is common for the CSC virus?

In that case it would have been more realistic as the VBC compiler was called.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x9es5c23(VS.80).aspx

Maybe Bing gives you the correct links

http://www.bing.com/search?q=csc.exe+virus&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:39 AM

All replies

• Is this a web application or a stand alone one?

In a web app asp page, we can specify the language attribute. Then it may use csc.

language="C#"

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:08 AM
  • This is a standalone EXE.

Coded in VS 2008 in VB.Net.

I may add that startup call to csc.exe is made when I run standalone exe compiled with relese mode and also when I run it from VS in  order to debug it.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Virus / malwhare

Check with Google and then some lines more, it is on more places well described

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Im checkin it already few days till now and I can not find anything that can help me.

Can you please tell me what search terms are you entering?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:35 AM
  • The 5th full one CSC exe shows it in the easiest way, maybe it is your language version of Google that it is not showed.

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=csc.exe&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=a3c13f954bf61e86

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Cor - I have checked your link and still dont get it what is cause of it :/

I have checked that csc.exe is not a virus. I double check that on more then 1 computor.

It is located under C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v.2.50727\<here> and it's legit.

Im not saying that csc.exe produce an error or similar. It's ok. But why is it run parallel with my App in the first place?

I'm just stating that it is started parallel with my vb.net App. When I doubleClick on my App, my App opens and parallel is csc opened (I see it in sys internals Process Monitor). After my App is opened then csc.exe after approximately 1 sec closes it self.

Csc.exe as far as I know does not interfere with my App in any way (at least visually).

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Isn't csc.exe the C sharp command line compiler?

Thanks, Cep
    • Edited by Cepeleon Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:32 AM Spelling.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:32 AM
  • yes it is, as I understand it. And my app is vb.net :/

New INFO:

I think I isolated it to one particular part off a large program:

- In app.Load event this particular code checks if setting in My.Settings of type System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection scope user is empty or not !?

If My.Settings.TestStringCol Is Nothing Then 'on this line csc.exe is called
      '...
    End If

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Yea probably some of the commercial features from Google

Here one of the answers:

I've no idea if this is a good site, I found it using Google, but I found more.

http://www.exenerds.com/fix/?k=Csc.exe&gclid=CKit3srJgZ0CFR4UagodpTwvbg

This response may contain a reference to a World Wide Web site. I’m providing this information as a convenience to you. I don’t control these sites and have not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, I cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and I caution you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:57 AM
  • that page did not help :(
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:12 AM
  •  No but there is much more, did you really search or took the first.

Put your Google to English after that you have started it and search again.

I don't want to give links about virusses because they can contain virusses.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:33 AM

or

?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:14 AM

or

?

Why would only by you in your program the command line C# compiler be called to serialize while the behaviour is common for the CSC virus?

In that case it would have been more realistic as the VBC compiler was called.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x9es5c23(VS.80).aspx

Maybe Bing gives you the correct links

http://www.bing.com/search?q=csc.exe+virus&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:39 AM