none
.NET 4 on Windows XP SP3

Question

• I have an application that requires .NET 2.0 but we install .Net 4 as it is the latest version.

On a Windows 7 or Vista machine the program runs fine, but on a machine with XP SP3 when I try and run my application I get an error message telling me that the required .Net framework is not found. If I install .NET 3.5 everything works fine again.

Why does .NET 4 work for .Net 2.0 programs in Vista and Windows 7 but not XP?

Chris Holland

Chris Holland
    Friday, May 07, 2010 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Based on your description, you have some concern on ruuning your .NET 2.0 application on Vista (or Windows 7) or Windows XP.

Firstly, we need to know some conception of .NET Framework.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework.
    .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 4.0 uses v4.0.
    .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as prerequisite.
    Please read the following blog to understand the relationship between .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.
    See: http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2007/06/net-framework-35.html

Secondly, we need to know more about the OS itself.

Windows Vista (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as OS components.
    Windows 7 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 as an OS component.

This means you have the .NET Framework 2.0 as OS component if you have installed Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Please see:

For more information, here is a useful blog that shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of OS. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

However, for Windows XP, .NET Framework 2.0 is not shipped as OS component.

Thus, when you run your .NET 2.0 application on Windows Vista or Windows 7, it can be run properly. On Windows XP, you need to install .NET Framework 3.5 (.NET 2.0 is included) to support your application. Your concern could be related to .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 4.0.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:38 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Chris Holland Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Based on your description, you have some concern on ruuning your .NET 2.0 application on Vista (or Windows 7) or Windows XP.

Firstly, we need to know some conception of .NET Framework.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework.
    .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 4.0 uses v4.0.
    .NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as prerequisite.
    Please read the following blog to understand the relationship between .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.
    See: http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2007/06/net-framework-35.html

Secondly, we need to know more about the OS itself.

Windows Vista (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as OS components.
    Windows 7 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 as an OS component.

This means you have the .NET Framework 2.0 as OS component if you have installed Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Please see:

For more information, here is a useful blog that shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of OS. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

However, for Windows XP, .NET Framework 2.0 is not shipped as OS component.

Thus, when you run your .NET 2.0 application on Windows Vista or Windows 7, it can be run properly. On Windows XP, you need to install .NET Framework 3.5 (.NET 2.0 is included) to support your application. Your concern could be related to .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 4.0.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:38 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Chris Holland Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Thanks for that information, I will ship the .NET 3.5 as well as .NET 4.0 to customers who have Windows XP.

Chris

Chris Holland
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hi Chris,

It's my pleasure!

Have a nice week.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:14 AM