none
Slow .NET Framework 3.5 Installation

Question

• Hello,

I am about to release (over the web) a little utility I wrote in C# to the general public. I am working in Visual C# Express 2008 so by default it targets .NET Framework 3.5. I am distributing my application with ClickOnce and this will allow my users to download the Framework and install it automatically, which is great. The only problem is it takes so long! Even on a modern machine with a fast internet connection it typically takes 15 mins or so to install .NET 3.5. (Also I've noticed the setup process has an annoying tendency to give the impression that it's crashed by displaying the same frozen progress bar for 10mins or so).

While this is not an 'error' as such I am afraid the slow installation time will deter users from using my app (or even bothering to complete the .NET Framework installation process).

Are there any alternatives I could consider (apart from abandoning .NET altogether and switching to a native compiler)? If I target an older Framework (e.g. 2.0) will the installation process be any faster? Is there a 'lite' version of Framework 3.5?

I must deploy my app over the web, so unfortunately providing the Framework on an installation CD isn't an option.

I'm developing on XP - does Vista already come with Framework 3.5 built in? (I'm grasping for positives here!).

Thanks,
    Jamie.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks Figo.

I just found some relevant info on the web:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/57234/what-net-framework-version-should-i-ship-with-2-3-3-5

http://coditate.blogspot.com/2008/12/impact-of-net-framework-on-software.html

This is the best bit of advice I've seen:

"If you are planning to upgrade to 3.5 SP1, you should consider using the New .NET Framework Client Profile Setup Package.

.NET 3.5 SP1 introduces a new setup package option for developers building .NET client applications called the ".NET Framework Client Profile". This provides a new setup installer that enables a smaller, faster, and simpler installation experience for .NET client applications on machines that do not already have the .NET Framework installed.

The .NET Framework Client Profile setup contains just those assemblies and files in the .NET Framework that are typically used for client application scenarios. For example: it includes Windows Forms, WPF, and WCF. It does not include ASP.NET and those libraries and components used primarily for server scenarios. We expect this setup package to be about 26MB in size, and it can be downloaded and installed much quicker than the full .NET Framework setup package.

The assemblies and APIs in the .NET Framework Client setup package are 100% identical to those in the full .NET Framework setup package (they are literally the same binaries). This means that applications can target both the client profile and full profile of .NET 3.5 SP1 (no recompilation required). All .NET applications that work using the .NET Client Profile setup automatically work with the full .NET Framework."

If that doesn't work I will probably just target .NET 2.0.

• Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:07 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• If you manually install .NET Framework 3.5 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en on the target machine, will the setup last that long?

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I believe this is the same package that is automatically downloaded and installed by ClickOnce when my users run the setup program. The file is only 2.7MB but it's just a bootstrap program - it then has to download the rest of the .NET framework.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem? Is everyone else happy to just have users wait 15mins for the .NET behemoth framework to download and install before their application can be executed???
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:23 AM
  • For ClickOnce issue, you may use ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:28 AM
  • Thanks Figo.

I just found some relevant info on the web:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/57234/what-net-framework-version-should-i-ship-with-2-3-3-5

http://coditate.blogspot.com/2008/12/impact-of-net-framework-on-software.html

This is the best bit of advice I've seen:

"If you are planning to upgrade to 3.5 SP1, you should consider using the New .NET Framework Client Profile Setup Package.

.NET 3.5 SP1 introduces a new setup package option for developers building .NET client applications called the ".NET Framework Client Profile". This provides a new setup installer that enables a smaller, faster, and simpler installation experience for .NET client applications on machines that do not already have the .NET Framework installed.

The .NET Framework Client Profile setup contains just those assemblies and files in the .NET Framework that are typically used for client application scenarios. For example: it includes Windows Forms, WPF, and WCF. It does not include ASP.NET and those libraries and components used primarily for server scenarios. We expect this setup package to be about 26MB in size, and it can be downloaded and installed much quicker than the full .NET Framework setup package.

The assemblies and APIs in the .NET Framework Client setup package are 100% identical to those in the full .NET Framework setup package (they are literally the same binaries). This means that applications can target both the client profile and full profile of .NET 3.5 SP1 (no recompilation required). All .NET applications that work using the .NET Client Profile setup automatically work with the full .NET Framework."

If that doesn't work I will probably just target .NET 2.0.

• Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:07 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Thanks for your sharing, jamieheather
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:06 AM
  • I posted this in another thread, but I'll post this here too...sorry about the crosspost.

I'm running into a similar issue with the .NET 3.5 SP1 installer taking a ridiculously long time to run.  I've run ProcMon during the install and noticed that the installer is going through every single entry in HKEY_USERS\[my user id]\Network\* and touching every single file in every folder referenced by the "RemotePath" attribute. 

Problem #1:  Why on earth does the installer need to touch all of our network files to do a local install?  This unnecessary, and it's extremely wasteful of my time and resources.

Problem #2:  If it encounters a RemotePath attribute that references a folder that doesn't exist, it gets caught in an endless loop, where it keeps trying to open the nonexistent folder, errors out, and tries again.

Problem #3:  This whole unnecessary process eats half my processor and eventually consumes all of my RAM.

This is a serious problem with this installer.

I'm running Vista on an Intel Core2 Duo 1.8GHz with 2GB RAM, 10GB free on a 70GB hard disk.

Thanks,

Tony
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I have a fast windows xp and high speed internet and experienced the same issue. it's .net 3.5 sp1 i believe thats the issue here.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:15 AM
  • .net 2.0 redistributable as target framework is much quicker. One issue off subject but might be relevant to you is if you target .net 2.0 and the client has only .net 1.1 installed check before you publish that the icons are there in the start menu at first run of your application. If not and you find appref-ms instead then write code to replace icon.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Hey Zannd, have you found any solutions to this problem? 
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:23 PM
  • this definitely does suck. On a brand new Core 2 Quad - 2.4GHz Q6600 cpu, 8GB memory, Server 2008, raid, no raid, doesn't matter, it takes me 45 - 50 minutes for this POS software to install. it doesn't seem to matter if it's local or from windows update.

.NET should not take this long to install. Hopefully they have it fixed in the beta (and of course final version) of .NET 4.0
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:25 PM
  • .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1 Installation is really really slowwwwwwwwwww...

Is there any solution to this problem
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:53 PM