none
Runtime Error! Program IExplore.exe - Answer to your Problems

Question

• Is this the message you get?

Runtime Error!
    Program IExplore.exe
    The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Screen Shot: http://www.geocities.com/playpolly/runtime.gif

If so, well Read Below.

Short Form (for Experts only):
    Delete the file Vgraph.dll from \WINDOWS\ OR any other place resident

Long Form: (Estimated Burden: 1-5 Minutes)

STEP 1:
    DELETE ALL YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER (IE) TEMP FILES AND COOKIES BEFORE YOU CONTINUE.

METHOD:
    If your IE is hung up:
    Click on
    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Options/#

If your IE is not hung up:
    Click on: TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/

#GENERAL TAB/TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES/DELETE COOKIES & DELETE TEMP FILES

STEP 2:
    NOW UPDATE ALL Objects/Downloaded Program Files

METHOD:

Click on: TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/

#GENERAL TAB/TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES/SETTINGS/VIEW OBJECTS/ SELECT ALL, RIGHT CLICK, UPDATE

OR

WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files SELECT ALL, RIGHT CLICK, UPDATE

Note: If update takes too long then keep in mind the ones that have been updated and skip the ones that take too long.

STEP 3:
    Under IE's Manage Add-ons disable the CvgraphObj Object
    --->
    Tools/Manage Add-ons (Alt+T in Internet Explorer)

If your IE is hung up:

Click on
    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add-ons

Now Disable the
    CvgraphObj Object

STEP 4: Restart INTERNET EXPLORER

STEP 5: SMILE :-)

If this does not work for you then read below

STEP 6: Try to find Rogue Applications that are installed as objects. Anything suspicious--> Disable it

If at this point You still get a VC++ Runtime Error for IExplorer.exe then Use FireFox and be happy.

E-MAN

Sunday, March 12, 2006 9:46 PM

Answers

• I could run Internet ok without getting this error msg. However, another user on same pc was getting error msg and could not access internet or Explore from Start Menu.

Found MSIMGSIZ Dat File in that users Local Settings (:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Renamed as oldMSIMGSIZ to see if this helped and this also appears to have fixed problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:41 PM

All replies

• I could run Internet ok without getting this error msg. However, another user on same pc was getting error msg and could not access internet or Explore from Start Menu.

Found MSIMGSIZ Dat File in that users Local Settings (:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Renamed as oldMSIMGSIZ to see if this helped and this also appears to have fixed problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:41 PM
  • INDEX.DAT stores cache history for IE. Used in conjunction with MSIMGSIZ.DAT, it allows someone to see every web site you've ever visited . . . even if you clear your cache. It was thought that you cannot disable this "feature". Deleting the file from DOS proved to be useless, as the files are re-created upon the next boot by an API call within Windows. There are a few workarounds I've discovered to disable this.

If you want to simply flush the cache, you can use the Microsoft Scripting Runtime to do this using the following code:

------------------------------------------
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Command1_Click()

Dim FSO As FileSystemObject
    Set FSO = New FileSystemObject
    FSO.DeleteFile "D:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*", True
    Set FSO = Nothing

End Sub
    ------------------------------------------

If you desire a more PERMANENT fix, I recommend the following (unorthodox-yet-effective) method.
    If you are using NTFS, it is a bit trickier, but for FAT/FAT32 partitions, you can simply use a Win98 boot diskette.

1) Make a note of EVERY instance of INDEX.DAT and MSIMGSIZ.DAT. Write down the paths to these files, using the 8.3 format (since long filenames are rather useless in DOS) and keep the list handy

2) Boot the computer to an actual DOS prompt, using a boot disk if necessary

3) Go to the directories containing the files logged in Step #1 of

4) Delete all instances of INDEX.DAT and MSIMGSIZ.DAT using the DELTREE command

Example: DELTREE /y INDEX.DAT <ENTER>
    Example: DELTREE /y MSIMGSIZ.DAT <ENTER>

5) Once you have deep-6'd these files, you now need to create an empty directory of the same name that the files were named. The logic here is that since you cannot have 2 files and or directories of the same name in a parent directory, the offending files cannot be recreated.

Example: MD INDEX.DAT <ENTER>
    Example: MD MSIMGSIZ.DAT <ENTER>

6) After you've created the new directories where the files used to be, simply restart the machine.

NOTE: This second method is "bulletproof", but the tradeoff is that IE will no longer store ANY information about where you've been. So if this presents a problem, go with the scripting method outlined earlier.
    ..Sourced from Mike @ winguides
    Friday, March 17, 2006 9:33 PM
  • This is an oustanding resource for this error resoution.

Tech - well done and thanks.

my problem is that I am running Windows XP Professional SP1 and

for this reason I apprarently have no simple way to access the

"manage add-on" option you descibe. I tried searching for the

vgraph.dll file with no success. My C++ errors happen most commonly

when I am trying to download material (especially photos) from the

Internet. Of course, Firefox is great but I need help resolving ths

conflict with IE. It happened once in WE as well!

Thank you.

Saturday, April 01, 2006 12:47 PM
  • I just bought my new computer from Dell and I continue to get a runtime error.  If I want to switch user accounts and don’t log off of one before logging on to another I get the error message:

Runtime error!

Program C:\PrrgramFiles\InternetExplorer\iexplorer

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

I thought you were supposed to be able to switch between users without have to log off of each account. I’ve checked the fast switch in user accounts and now I don’t know what else to do. Do I use the method above to correct the problem and do I need to do this on all user accounts or just the administrator account?  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:17 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue...new computer from DELL....same error message...

Were you able to get your problem resolved? If so, what did you do to correct it?

Thanks for your help.

Friday, May 26, 2006 12:17 AM
  • Is it just a simple error, or is there a VC++ error message that shows more than just what you've mentioned.

If you are able to describe the complete message then perhaps I will be able to help you. Why don't you try installing the new IE 7.0. Most probably it might solve the issue.

Sincerely,

E-Man

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:48 AM
  • I was getting the same error on a dell laptop.

I solved it by removing the program Digital Line Detect, this is installed by dell and maybe others. I no longer have this problem.

Hope this helps

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:41 PM
  • Hey if having this trouble...this EASY FIX could be it!          

Had same problem & error with Int. Explorer for months - just found this answer today from previous posts! (Yea!!!)  Many people had  same problem and this fixed it: 

***REMOVE GOOGLE TOOL BAR.

FIXED my problem IMMEDIATELY! Finally able to use Int.Exp. again!     Some were able to just re-install google tool bar later and everything still worked fine. (I haven't tried re-installing yet.)

To Remove Google Toolbar:                                                                       Click on START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, and then go to...       ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS. Once you are there just look for the      Google Toolbar program and remove it.

Some other people had same runtime error problem, but their prob was because of McAfee Security, antiphishing, or other prgrams...see related threads.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.  I get the runtime error message, but when I reboot, I can then go onto internet explorer fine.  The runtime error message then recurs (not sure what triggers it) and then I need to reboot again to get on the internet. 

I followed your instructions above, but hit two potential snags:

(1) In Step 2, when attempting to update I get the msg that windows has blocked the update b/c it can't identify publisher (of j-install-142-windows-i586.cab)

(2) In Step 3 I did not find a cvgraphobj object (and all the objects appeared to be from reputable sources).

Any other thoughts here?

Thanks,

Mike Shore

Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:24 PM
  • Microsoft has a Knowledge Base post that's dedicated to this issue. It's at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538/en-us. Unfortunately it's very hard to obtain the fix.

They say "A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft...contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix."

Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:23 PM
  • I have this exact same problem.

Brand new computer. Only one profile can pull up iexplorer at a time. If someone else has Explorer running, no one else can open it. The exact error msg is:

"Visual C++ Runtime Library (located on the header bar)

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\ Internet explorer\iexplore.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application’s support team for more information."

That is all there is. It comes up in a regular windows error report window. The other profiles also cannot open their private files (My Docs, My Pics, My ...)from the Start Menu, the same error appears. All the icons on the desktop will work, EXCEPT FOR the EXPLORER ICON.

I found a MSIMGSIZ.DAT file and renamed it but that didn't work. (Do you have to restart?) Btw, there was only one and I found it in a file named i386.

I did not find any file named Vgraph.dll.

I deleted Google Toolbar & even Google Desktop - no help.

I did not delete the Digital Line program as I am not sure that this users problem was exactly the same.

I agree with Cran7465 - shutting down fast switch to user accounts defeats the purpose and the problem needs to be addressed.

Please Help! Is there no solution? Thanx in advance.

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:42 AM
  • did you ever get it fixed - I just a bought a computer from dell and I have the same thing happen
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:22 AM
  • The funny thing is, this has nothing to do with Visual C++ programming what so ever. This indicates that the program had a problem and exited in an unusual way so its a bug in IE. This forum is for support for people who use VC to write programs. So this thread shouldn't be here.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:38 AM
  • Hello, i need someones help and i am really lost, i am only 15 and i need 2 fix my dads computer, i have a file msimgsiz.dat which will not be virus scanned by ntl netguard, and once i try to scan it they close ntl netguard down. i am unsure why this is doing this, also another file is activitylog. something. I am not really great at ficing these sort of problem i am wondering if anyone could help. Have i got a virus or something or is it a bigger problem or smaller. Can someone help please.

p.s i am not sure if the above is doing this but ever since i have had these problem with running a virus scan on my system when clicking on a link from a search engin, i am taken to romemaster.com/ something everytime. I this linked if not can i have a solution for this to. thankyou

Monday, December 04, 2006 9:34 PM
  •  

Did you ever find the fix for this problem, fresh install of XP

When you switch user you can't access, IE7, Control Panel, my documents. Run time error.  in one account.

In another when you switch to it, it let you into things apart from the internet.  IE7 loads up and gives a run time error.

Is it anything to do with office 2003?

help!

Monday, February 19, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Thank you very much E Man. I have been plaqued by this error message of a year and almost gave up on Microsoft help, which did nothing to solve the problem.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:42 PM
  • hi, i have tried all the ways i can find to solve this problem. but they all do not work!
    i got this problem yesterdag.
    i have no Google toolbar in my computer .
    although i have updated my IE to IE7, it did't werk.
    the msg on my screen is as below
    "
    microsoft visual c++ runtime library
    runtime error!
    program: c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
    abnormal program ternimation
    "
    !@#$%^&*(
    thx in advance

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:52 PM
  • can someone help me?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:29 AM
  •    bjr ... Je reçois tjrs le message d'erreur, j'ai lu et fait tout ce qui etait proposé de faire ... depuis 2 jrs impossible de me connecter ,malgré mes nombreuses tentatives et corrections

SOS    

P.S. Je n'avais jamais eu ce probl. avant

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:01 PM
  •  jadoux84 wrote:

bjr ... Je reçois tjrs le message d'erreur, j'ai lu et fait tout ce qui etait proposé de faire ... depuis 2 jrs impossible de me connecter ,malgré mes nombreuses tentatives et corrections

SOS    

P.S. Je n'avais jamais eu ce probl. avant

Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:13 PM
  • hi - I cannot do Step 2 of the instructions for the iexplore runtime error. There is no option to Update
    Friday, May 30, 2008 11:47 PM