none
msdn from visual c++ 6.0

Question

• Hi

I just installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and after that i installed the msdn library. the problem is that i can't reach the msdn from visual c++ .can i connect the msdn without reinsall msdn??

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Which version of the MSDN library did you install? Visual C++ 6.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft (nor this forum), so I can't guarantee that it'll work at all with the new MSDN libs.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:05 PM
  • As Einaros said Visual C++ 6.0 is not longer supported by MSFT.

I think the last version of MSDN integrated with Visual C++ 6.0 is MSDN Library 2001 (seems the October release). Please try to get a copy it if you are too forced to use integrated help. But still it's currently not available from MSDN.

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:13 AM
  • I installed MSDN Lib for visual studio .Net 2003.

will it help if i'll install  visual studio .Net  instead of the visual c++ 6.00?

Monday, April 23, 2007 10:53 AM
  • Yes, I feel pretty certain that it will.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 11:10 AM
  • The October 2001 edition is still available as a download from MSDN if you have a subscription.  If you don't, Ebay almost always has the "Visual Studio 6 Library Edition" available, it rarely goes beyond 5 bucks or so.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:20 AM
  • Try downloading h2viewer and see if it can read VS 2003 help files (I know it can do VS 2005, not sure about 2003).  If h2viewer works, read its docs about its command line options.  Then create a custom tool in the VC6 "Tools" menu.  Point it at the h2viewer exe, and use the appropriate command line parameters to load the VS 2003 help files.  I use these:

/appID msvc6 /helpcol MS.VSCC.v80 /Index $(CurText)

The above params will open h2viewer with my VS 2005 MSDN help files, and will search for the text my cursor is on (via the $(CurText) parameter).  I think the only change you will have to make to the above line is the /helpcol argument -- it's probably different in VS 2003.

Last step is to bind a keyboard command to your custom tool.  I used Ctrl-F1 (I didn't find a way to assign just F1).

It's not as nice as the built-in MSDN help, but it's pretty darn close.

HTH,

Carl
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:45 PM
  •   How do you do,einaros?

You said that visual C++ 6.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft (nor this forum).That's a bad piece of news as I try to find something useful for me to complete my project.And I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 now.Do you means that the technical support for VC 6.0 both from the official website of Microsoft and the forum is no longer supplied?Tell me more details about this.Or I would waste more time.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:43 AM
  •  Computerma wrote:

How do you do,einaros?

You said that visual C++ 6.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft (nor this forum).That's a bad piece of news as I try to find something useful for me to complete my project.And I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 now.Do you means that the technical support for VC 6.0 both from the official website of Microsoft and the forum is no longer supplied?Tell me more details about this.Or I would waste more time.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The part about VC++6 no longer being supported by MS is old news. That's not to say that the already available support information will be removed, though (at least not anytime soon). What you will not find, however, is application updates, more service packs, or compatible (new) MSDN libraries.

As for this forum, we've never focused on anything but the newest compiler version. Questions about older compilers are usually addressed (to some extent), but are considered off topic and rather redirected to the C++ language newsgroup at http://msdn.micorsoft.com/newsgroups.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:03 AM