none
Analyzing WCF Trace log

Question

• Hi!

Does anyone know about any articles that describes HOW to analyze a Server side WCF trace log? Of course, I know about and uses the Service Trace Viewer application. But what does it all means?

For example, I have these traces which I can't figure out what happens:

In the "Activity list" I have a "Processing Message XXXX" element that has been executed for 13 seconds.

Trace log

But, here is also the problem that I can't figure out why. The Activity boundary is started 13:53:9.861, while the message log trace is done 13:53:23.63. So, what is happening here?

Right before this in the activity list I have a "Receive bytes on connection: YYYY" that looks like this:

Again with some gaps. But I have what to read out of this.

So, if anyone knows about som good article or can explain the WCF trace for me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

--Rune

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful" if the post helped you to a solution of your problem.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hello.

Maybe you have seen this article -- there is section "Understanding Trace Icons" in the end. Did it help you?

Also you can step your code in debug mode and correlate with trace.

As for me, it seems that it is your code working most of this 13 seconds...

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hello.

Myabe this msdn page can help you.

Also look here and here.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but yes, I have seen most of it, and it doesn't explain it to well in my opinion, it shows the flow, but it doesn't explain what each step means.

For example, what I miss information about, is the relation between those two elements above, the "Processing message" activity and the "Receive bytes on connection" activity.

I can't see the whole picture, and that is a bit frustrating. But what I suspect with the two above pictures is that the processing on the server takes 13 seconds? Is that correct? Or is it some kind of waiting that occurs outside my code?

--Rune

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful" if the post helped you to a solution of your problem.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hello.

Maybe you have seen this article -- there is section "Understanding Trace Icons" in the end. Did it help you?

Also you can step your code in debug mode and correlate with trace.

As for me, it seems that it is your code working most of this 13 seconds...

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi again!

I have missed that section, I'll take a closer look at and see if it will explain more to me.

Thanks for your answer!

--Rune

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:27 PM