none
Program.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Question

• The message in the above title is displayed upon execution on an XP (32-bit) PC  for an application I recently completed writing in VB2010 Pro .  The same program runs without any problem on a W7 64-bit and 32bit XP machine, both with VS2010 installed.  The PC with the problem has  just had XP reinstalled from the ground up ( reformatted the HD, reinstalled .NET 3.5 and 4) - this PC previously ran the application prior to the O/S rebuild without this problem, now it informs me that "we are is sorry for the inconvenience".  My thinking is that it may be a DLL or other module that is included when VS2010 is installed. I have NOT installed Visual Studio on the PC experiencing the "problem".

Update:

I have just installed VS2010 Pro on the PC which reported the "encountered problem" message -  now the app runs as expected with no error nor problem.

Restatement of the results is:

Program runs without problem on a PC if and only if VS is installed on it          otherwise execution fails 

Any and all suggestions leading to a solution would be helpful.

Friday, November 05, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi CodeFramer,

Glad to see your feedback.

At first, please check if you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 on Windows XP.

Then, please check other things as follows.

1.       Download .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify if all versions of .NET Framework are installed correctly on your side.

Click here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

2.       If you would like to deploy a project and let it run on Windows XP, please check if your project’s platform target is x86 or ANY CPU.

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:03 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi CodeFramer,

Thank you for posting.

Based on your description, it seems that your issue might be caused by .NET Framework.

Please check the following information.

1.       Check which framework target did you choose? If you chose .NET Framework 4, please check whether or not the client machines have installed .NET Framework 4.

2.       Choose ANY CPU(Platform target) when you will deploy your project.

If you have any issues, feel free to tell me know.

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, November 08, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Hello Larcolais -

1.  I did install .NET Framework on the target machine.  Without this, one is notified that it is required.

2.  How/where is the target platform declared.   I am currently using a third party product for deployment.

If this platform declaration is OneClick specific, could you provide me with a link fcr ONeClick newbies?

Many thanks - Code Framer

Code Framer
    Monday, November 08, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Hi Code Framer,

If the above suggestions didn't help you solve your concern, you could consult your concern in ClickOnce/Setup forum. Please check: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads/

Regards,

Larcolais

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Larcolais Gong Friday, November 12, 2010 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:34 AM
  • A recheck indicates that  the platform target of ALL was declared.   ClickOnce has no involvement in this issue, it is not used.

A target XP PC which had Visual Studio installed and ran the application with no problem ran to completion with no

error at all.  I de-installed VS2010 and now it will not execute and reports an event type clr20r3 system.invalidoperationexception

That PC has the following dotNET modules installed

.NET Framework 1.1,    .NET Framework 2.0 SP2,    .NET Framework 3.0 SP2,    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1,  

.NET Framework 4 Client Profile,     .NET Framework 4 Extended 

I do not believe anything related to dotNET is involved in this problem.    I suspect Visual Studio installs some dependency

required for applications developed under it.  If ported to a bare PC, it fails in the same way as reported above.

Code Framer
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Hi CodeFramer,

Glad to see your feedback.

At first, please check if you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 on Windows XP.

Then, please check other things as follows.

1.       Download .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify if all versions of .NET Framework are installed correctly on your side.

Click here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

2.       If you would like to deploy a project and let it run on Windows XP, please check if your project’s platform target is x86 or ANY CPU.

Regards,

Larcolais

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:03 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:06 AM